Linux distro question

I’ve had to replace my computer, it died. I got a replacement Lenovo laptop. For many years, I’ve use ART with Manjaro on my desktop, almost no problem.

Now Manjaro’s networking doesn’t work with this hardware. I need to change. I’ve been trying various live iso to find what works and what doesn’t. For most software, I don’t the latest but for my photo
portion, I do. I want to make sure that everything will work.

I’d like to know what distribution are you using?

Thank you

Garuda Linux

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

Fwiw, if you build art yourself, you should be able to do it in any modernish distribution (definitely at least on Ubuntu 18.04, possibly also on 16.04…).

2 Likes

I build ART myself on Linux Mint 19 and 20

Surprised that your Manjaro doesn’t work on Lenovo, they are the ones with the best Linux support usually. Maybe you are just missing a driver.

This said, I use Kubuntu 20.04 on my current Lenovo (and Kubuntu 18.04 then Fedora34 on my other Lenovo).

1 Like

Debian cinnamon (and I build ART)

It’s a lot more complicated than that. It’s low level networking and it’s constantly dropping the carrier and then reinitializing it almost like the link negotiation was never working. Even setting the link to 1/2 duplex 100baseT manually did not fix it.

I’ve also tried Fedora 35 live, Tumbleweed live & Debian 11 live and they all have no problem with the networking, so it has to be something in Manjaro but I can’t figure it out. Except for that the Lenovo is excellent including the regular bios updates.

Thanks

I have Debian 11 on my internal ssd but lately I am mostly using EndeavourOS. It’s basically pure Arch but with an easy installer and beautiful theming.

Edit: you know, Ubuntu 22.04 is coming very soon. However the kernel might already be too old for your new hardware.

So do I (Mint 20), using the Github Libraw version.

Debian bookworm and I use the appimage

1 Like

On Ubuntu you can switch to the “hwe” (Hardware Enablement) kernel packages, that are kept up do date with hardware.

2 Likes