Load images from network folder

Hello,

I want to save my smartphone images on my local NAS instead of google photos.
I already have them on my NAS, accessible via FTP and mounted on my windows laptop as a drive.
digikam is able to see these images when I import them, but unfortunately, digikam copies every single image to my laptop, which is not what I want.
Is it possible to process these images in digikam without copying them to my device?

Thanks and kind regards
Andreas

Import is for copying/moving files into an existing library. So it’s doing exactly what it should.

What you actually want is to add the drive/folder as a collection. This is done in the settings.

Also, not sure FTP is the best choice here. SMB is probably better.

1 Like

Oh I see, thanks for the quick answer!
I simply could not find where to add a folder, wouldn’t have come to my mind to look in the settings.

I mounted my nas in windows, so it already should be using smb I think?
Is there anything I must do manually to make digikam use smb?

To be honest, the whole albums/collections/folders thing could use some simplification. I remember trying to figure out how to add an album, only to realise it’s a collection I want :confused:

I’m not on Windows, but I think it should work fine just finding it on the network, through the file-picker. If not, add it as a network drive first.

Go to Settings - Configure Digikam - Collections - under “Collections on Network Shares” click Add Collection

1 Like