RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-438-g9653b9c9c_WinVista_64_181221-1109.zip

https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW64NightlyBuilds/

is running fine here.

1 Like

RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-439-g000b91f5e_WinVista_64_181221-2251.zip

is running fine here.

RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-439-g000b91f5e_WinVista_64_181221-2251

When i select a control spot in a picture and then i go to the next picture i still see the same control spot on the screen and in the control spot list and i can’t delete nor activate it, only rename it . So if i select the spot number 2 in the next picture i will see only the number two.
If i move this control spot in the second picture the first one keeps its position.
If i quit and reopen RT the second picture doesn’t have any control spot.

another thing

I i right-click (opppsss…) on any control spot it disappears, i can’t no longer see it but i see its effects and in the list its status is still “visible”. If i change picture and then go back the control spot is in its place.
If i have many control spots on a picture they disappear together.

Dear,

I’ve used Rawtherapee for more than 2 years now (always the ‘official’ standard version), and, after the recent release of 5.5, I decided to start using the Locallab branch.
Unfortunately, I’ve not been very successful yet, and I encounter exactly the same problems as mentioned in the post above (right click behavior, switching between images whereby spots become visible in the other document, but not maintainable, …).

I also noticed the following issues/problems:

* I've witnessed many system crashes, especially when creating or deleting RT-spots (no pattern detected yet, seems a bit random, I will continue to search...). When the system crashes, it happens in 2 flavors: either Rawtherapee closes, of the active picture closes, but Rawtherapee remains active. When the system crashed, I tried to verify the Locallab data in the pp3 file, and I have the impression that the information about the RT-spots is not really in sync with what is visible in the UI. I've read somewhere that the RT-spot data has been ported recently from previous 'mip'-textfiles towards the regular pp3 files. I don't know at which events the pp3 data should be synchronized with user actions (e.g. in the RT-spot table, or via the UI of the Preview window), but I get the impression that this synchronization is not yet working properly (which can be a cause for many other problems of course). Unfortunately, as said above, I made the switch to Locallab only very recently, so I have no clue about how this worked in the 'mip'-era. In its current status, I'm afraid that the Locallab version is not yet really suitable for 'normal' use.
  • I found in the Local Lab Controls document on Rawpedia that there should currently be a (theoretical) limit at 500 RT-spots for one image. As a test, I could create 510… Has the limit been removed?

• In that same document, I read that it is possible to define a number of Locallab parameters via the Preference dialog box ('Show spot delimiters checkbox, default for ‘Global Quality’, …). These parameters are not available in the Preference dialog of the latest build. Is this is problem with the build, or have these settings been eliminated?

• It appears that the History is not synchronized with the create/delete actions in the table with RT-spots. E.g. if you create e.g. 2 spots, and then you returns in the History to an action before the spot additions, those spots don’t disappear (i.e. they remain in the RT-spot table, and remain visible in the Preview window). So, next to the assumed ‘out-of-sync’ for the pp3-files, also the History seems to have synchronization issues with the Locallab module.

• There is a ‘Visible’ attribute in the RT-spot table that seems to do ‘nothing’. It can’t be changed neither. If one changes the Visible-value manually in the pp3 file from true to false, the entry in the table will change from ‘Visible’ to ‘Invisible’, but it doesn’t have any impact (i.e. the spot remains visible in the Preview window).

• If multiple spots are created one after the other, without any other actions between those creations, there are no individual history records for each creation. Only 1 single ‘Lab* Spot created’ record is registered in the history, showing the ID-number of the last created spot. I don’t know whether this is expected behavior, but it appears strange to me.

• It’s very difficult to select RT-spot handles, especially for rectangular spots. I found a feasible workaround, but it works only if the handle is larger than the length of the corresponding side of the rectangle (by hovering over the handle in a position outside the rectangle). But, if the side of the rectangular spot is larger than the corresponding handle, it’s almost impossible to select this handle, because the system tends to select automatically the full rectangle itself, i.s.o. a specific handle. As soon as the rectangle is selected, any mouse movement will reposition the whole RT-spot. This behavior also happens when hovering over the central spot, and then moving with the mouse. The solution to this problem is thus: a/hover over the RT-spot center to move the whole RT-spot, and b/ hover over a handle, select it (and no longer select the rectangle!) and then move the handle.

• As a further suggestion: as far as I could see, it is nowadays very difficult (practically impossible?) to know which RT-spot is currently selected in the Preview window. It would really help to show the handles and the central spot of the selected spot in a different color (e.g. green).

I will keep collecting my findings/remarks and I will post them, as soon as there is some further evolution for the most critical issues.

Kind regards.

1 Like

I add two new fonctionnalities
a) Soft Light
b) blur flat region in sharpening

Jacques

@i5963c
Locallab is under development, the documentation refers to the old GUI and is therefore obsolete.

The new GUI is also under development (not by me) and the points mentioned above are part of the bugs and improvements to be made

@gaaned92 and @jdc,

RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-447-g908d34d46_WinVista_64_181229-2347.zip

is running fine here.

I just wondered if there was a plan to have visible masks that could be toggled on or off for the locallab function so you could see which regions are being affected. I noticed this feature was now available in the colour toning function.
I’m sure there is plenty else to sort first but this would be a nice feature to have in the future.
Keep up the good work…

RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-494-gcc6cf81c5_WinVista_64_190101-0916.zip

is running fine here.

Happy New Year! :slight_smile:

Hello, unfortunately I have found that this version seems to shut down Rawtherapee quite frequently. Most often when you add a new point or delete a point. I am running on Windows 10 version RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-494-gcc6cf81c5_WinVista_64_190101-0916.

I have also noted that “Color and Light” tab the effects are restricted to objects of the same colour as expected. With the “exposure” tab, everything within the elipse is affected, even with the same values of scope. Is this meant to be the case?

RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-524-g905a143d0_WinVista_64_190112-1057.zip

Great new interface for this. Works really well. Congratulations for all the hard work… Very impressive.

@spidermonkey
I just commit a modification, now I think “exposure” works well

I introduced 2 changes

1. use the structure of the image to detect shapes (for luminance) in “Color and Light” and “Exposure”
  2. mask (“Color and Light” and “Exposure”. This mask has two actions, an obvious one when changing luminance = f(Luma), chroma= f(Chroma), and L-and-C=f(H)…and the more important acts on shape detection algorithm.

Pierre has significantly improved the GUI thanks to him, , there are still some improvements to make

jacques

RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-535-gc16397367_WinVista_64_190114.zip

is running fine here.

@Pierre and @JDC, great job!

1 Like

@jdc The changes look great, and it seems quite stable now. There are some aspects of its use that I don’t understand yet, I will have a closer look, but may have some questions. Great work.

RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-536-gd1b4c84ef_WinVista_64_190115.zip

Is running fine here.

Hi, I just tried out the latest locallab build on a red poppy blossom which is a bit unsharp. Really great what you all did there, quite easy to use and makes RawTherapee even better!
I want to express my gratitude to all developers of RawTherapee :clap:

Hello, the locallab function works very well now. However, I really don’t understand how the mask in ‘Exposure’ and ‘Color and Light’ function.
Here I have lightened the tree using the locallab exposure function

As I understand it, I would expect, for example with the L(L) function, if I tick ‘use mask’ the, line is a the top. I would expect it to be white, and for it to act on all values of brightness. If I pull curve down to the left, I would expect it to act less on dark values (ie brighten dark values less). If I pull the curve down on the right, I would expect it to act less on bright values. However, the mask, just seems to darken parts of the image, not change how how the exposure function affects the image (see below) . I think I have totally misunderstood how this is meant to work, so would appreciate some sort of explanation, or point me towards where I can find out how to use it. Many thanks.

@spidermonkey

I know there is currently no entry in Wikipedia. I will try to explain the principle.
Admittedly, it’s a mask but it works differently from the ones we usually find.

The created mask is subtractive and acts on two aspects :

1. that of common sense, the mask is removed from the original image and interacts globally with reference-based shape detection parameters.
  2. more finely, the modifications made affect the shape detection parameters of the image and act on the deltaE. In this sense, the user can accentuate or reduce “locallab” to select this or that part of the image to act.

These two points combined bring a very important difference compared to the “traditional” software (Photoshop, Gimp…)

This difference is fundamental (see the explanations on Wikipedias in French, which I am in the process of updating).
In one case, you selected an area (with the mouse), and the algorithm is the same as entire image,
In the second the selection is secondary (it is the same approach as Dx0 or CatureNX), and the algorithm try to find what the user want…
The algorithm compare, hue, luminance, chrominance (and now structure) of the little area under the little selection circle, and hue, luminance, chrominance and structure of each pixel.
Of course, it’s more complex than that.

To return to the mask, of course we can use it as if it were with Photoshop, but unless we want special effects I do not recommend it at all.

Just above the combo box, you can see 3 informations, for exemple
Ref(0…1) Chroma=0.049 Luma=0.250 Hue=0.486
These 3 values are the reference value (of the little circle area), those used for shape detection. They are displayed in the interval 0.1, to allow the user to act on the curves without touching (or so voluntarily) references.

In the example, the curve L=f(L) must be at top of the diagram for Luma=0.250 (the quarter of the abscissa), you can low around this value, very moderately depending on what you are looking for. For example x=0 y=0.9
If you want to improve shape detection, low values are recommanded (for example 0.9 in ordinate, for x=0, and for x=1), if you want special effects values higher values can be used (for example 0.6 in ordinate) but always without touching the reference value (x=0.250 y=1)

@jdc Thanks so much for providing such a detailed explanation. I will have another look at it now that I have a better idea of how it works…