Lost RAWs of Cathedral Park

DSC_9981.NEF (8.9 MB)
DSC_9982.NEF (11.2 MB)
DSC_9991.NEF (9.3 MB)

These files are licensed under Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

I recently decided to rip out an old HD from an external case to see if said HD was still functioning. It was! And I found a whole folder of RAW files from January of 2015 that had somehow not been backed up properly and thought lost. I’d completely forgotten about these shots of the St. John’s Bridge and was rather dismayed that I had failed to ever edit them. They present some challenges due to the interesting light and I thought some of you might like to give them a go.

I did some very basic edits in DT with the filmic module and took them into GIMP as per my usual M.O.

21 Likes

Oof, I’m too busy to play with these even though I really want to. These are fantastic shots - thank you for sharing them!

2 Likes

Ah, shucks! Thanks, Buddy!

Iconic bridge for sure and great shots. I’m certain that your DT chops are better than mine. Wasn’t sure the title referred to “our” Cathedral Park (I’m in metro-PDX as well).

1 Like

Yay, fellow Portlander!

Great shots

DSC_9981.NEF.xmp (13.5 KB, dt3.1)

4 Likes

DSC_9982.NEF.xmp (15.1 KB, dt3.1)

3 Likes

Those are nice!

Glad to read that you rediscovered these, I’m still missing a few dozen shots and every time I come across an old HD I hope they are on it.

Anyway, here’s my contribution:

cathedral.park.d90.1.nikon.nef.xmp (10.8 KB) darktable 3.0.2

5 Likes

Lovely bridge!
Thanks for sharing :clap:

DSC_9991_RT.jpg.out.pp3 (12.9 KB)

2 Likes

Also gave this one a try:

cathedral.park.d90.2.nikon.nef.xmp (8.9 KB) darktable 3.0.2

6 Likes

The shots are wonderful, and your edits too. Thanks for sharing!
Here’s my take on the 3rd one:

DSC_9991.NEF.arp (12.7 KB)

4 Likes

DSC_9991.jpg.out.pp3 (12.5 KB)

4 Likes

Nice Alberto, I like that you recovered some sky. I like the shadows in this shot.

1 Like

DSC_9991.NEF.xmp (13.3 KB)

4 Likes

Photoflow (with an experimental glow effect…):

DSC_9981.pfi (45.2 KB)

8 Likes

I like what it does to the sun beams. Not too crazy about the haloing around the bridge and the trees in the background, but an interesting take, nonetheless. Great crop, also.

Nice B&W take. The sky looks awesome.

Reminds me of video games of a certain vintage, like Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess.

2 Likes

Glad you found these images. Here’s some grayscale treatment:

6 Likes

I agree. It is to conserve resources in limited hardware but stylistic nevertheless. @paulmiller Good job in changing things up.