Lunar Details at Sunset

This isn’t the most challenging image but it’s a good beginner’s exercise with filmic, tone equalizer and dynamic range I think. I shot this near sunset so there was still some blue in the sky so I’m aiming for a look with a not totally black background that still preserves the details in the lunar highlands which are a good bit brighter. Bonus points for getting some of the very faint color present in the moon to come out.

You are of course not limited to darktable. Heck, use Microsoft Word if it works for you. Don’t laugh too hard I know physics PhDs who do image editing in Word and PowerPoint. :man_shrugging:

_LGH7085.NEF.xmp (22.7 KB)

_LGH7085.NEF (21.0 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

4 Likes

… aha! this is why i couldn’t sleep :sweat_smile:

_LGH7085_01.NEF.xmp (13.8 KB)

thanks for the play!

1 Like

I don’t think the dynamic range is a real problem here. Nice image though. Thanks for posting.
However, I could not open the image in PowerPoint :wink: , so it’s darktable 3.6.

_LGH7085.NEF.xmp (7.4 KB)

2 Likes

lunar.details.pp3 (18.3 KB) RawTherapee 5.8

One of those interesting ones; Seems easy before you start and before you know it you could be spending a lot of time on it.

Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Nice shot! This one processed in Art.

_LGH7085.art.jpg.out.arp (10.4 KB)

I don’t think so either, that’s why I said it’s good beginner’s exercise. It’s simple to handle but a good illustration of handling EV ranges from the bright highlands and maintain some sky color/lightness.

_LGH7085.NEF.xmp (7.7 KB)

_LGH7085_01.NEF.xmp (8.2 KB)

4 Likes

My attempt
photoflow -GIMP LAB

my attempt

_LGH7085.NEF.xmp (12.3 KB)

2 Likes