lut 3D module and scene-referred workflow

Hi all,

quick question this time :-). Is there any particular caveat to be aware when using the lut 3D module within the scene-referred workflow?

thanks in advance for any advice!

Some positive info here:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2 Likes

Thank you. I had read Aurelien’s post — which I understood as saying that lut 3D is indeed compatible with the scene-referred workflow. My concern came from the fact that I observed a degree of posterisation on skin tones after applying some LUT, so I wondered whether that was related to the scene-referred workflow (and how it would be possible to avoid the artefact).

There’re different kinds of LUTs:

1. bring back ‚reality‘ from flat profile shots
  2. apply a look for a proper developed image

The first should be used in the scene referred part; the second are often designed to be part of a display referred workflow - so better be applied after filmic.

I think that may then be the issue. Is there a way to tell whether a LUT belongs to one class or another? I was trying the LUTs available on the ON1 website Free LUTs – ON1

Thanks

Sometimes LUTs are advertised to be applied to log footage, others to be applied on Rec 709 material.
And most doesn’t specify it :wink:
Then you need to test it yourself. For example some LUTs brightens blacks - these effects can be compensated by filmic, so it doesn’t make sense to use it before.

1 Like