MacBook Pro 2017 P3 Display

I recently upgraded from a 2008 MacBook to a 2017 MacBook Pro. It has a Retina display and has a wider gamut than sRGB.
Whilst I appreciate that the new display is capable of displaying a wider range of colours than sRGB, can someone please explain why the colours in an image saved in sRGB look more vivid when viewed on it?

Did you happen to profile the monitor with a spectrometer? Can’t really be sure what “enhancements” might have been done, so it’s tough to say. :frowning:

Might be worth at least picking up some calibration hardware and create profiles so you can hopefully compare apples and apples! :slight_smile:

More vivid than what?

Possible reasons:

• You’re comparing a 100% sRGB view to some other monitor whose gamut does not cover sRGB 100%.
  • The images are not being viewed in a correctly color-managed program or the images are not correctly tagged as sRGB and get stretched to a wider gamut, so the colors become ultra-saturated.
  • There is a difference in the white level between the P3 and the unspecified other viewing device, making it appear as if the colors are more vivid.

Of you don’t have a color calibration device, you can “calibrate” by eye in macOS. Not the best, but better than nothing!

1 Like

Thanks for your comments. I really must invest in a display profiler!