macOS is deprecating OpenGL and OpenCL, future of GIMP, Inkscape, Natron, and others?

Nor does RawTherapee btw.

Sure some community goes to do a runway. How with gtk and x11.
A pseudo-OpenGL over Metal

This already occurred many times with mac

People could use Halide, which can output to whatever backend API, like OpenCL, OpenGL, CUDA, CPU vectorized instructions, Arm NEON, Qualcomm Hexagon DSPā€¦

I am building an experimental DMG package available from here.
As the release page states, this is not a package that is officially supported by the GIMP team, although at least part of my scripts might be used in future in the GIMP CI system.

The only issue I am aware of at the moment is that python plug-ins do not (yet) work properly, but I can put some effort into that if needed.

Notice that the whole building and packaging process happens on Travis-CI and on single-use virtual machines, to guarantee a sufficiently high level of security of the packages.

As for the money, feel free to use the paypal link on my personal blog :wink: ā€¦

Seriously speaking, if the package works OK for you (and other MAC users) then this might accelerate the integration process in the GIMP CI system. For issues, please report them preferentially here.

Also @partha has had a DMG for his McGIMP for a while now. It works well.

2 Likes

Oh, I donā€™t know, good thing in this case then?

My personal stance: I donā€™t care. If people pay for their OS and that OS gets features removed then I donā€™t intend to work around that to help Apple make more money. Instead people should call their support hotline and complain. OTOH, itā€™s Apple, so the usual Stockholm syndrome will kick in and people will defend those changes.

8 Likes