Masks Shown on Module Name

I was recently watching a view videos regarding darktable 3.6 and want to be sure I am getting this right.
If there is a mask available for a particular module, there is a new icon shown to the right of the module name indicating this module has a mask. Does this icon only appear if a mask has been drawn on a particular image, or is this icon supposed to appear all the time?

PS I especially like that you can now see a thumbnail image before you import that image into darktable. Good stuff, and looking forward to trying out many of the new updates and additions.

Thank you

Only if a mask is active. It can be a drawn mask, a parametric mask, a combo (drawn + parametric) or raster (reusing the mask defined on another module). You can easily test this by creating a mask and see if the indicator appears. You can read about the powerful masking features here: darktable 3.6 user manual - masking & blending, and/or check out Youtube (I recommend the videos from @Bruce_Williams, but there are many others).

1 Like

Bruce’s videos are what I turn to for most information. That is where I saw this about the masks. So I have it right. You do have to have an active mask for the icon to show up. I’ll give that a test drive and see if it appears.
Digital work is new to me. I have always shot film and most of the editing was cropping to get an image to look correct. It took a while to find the right program, and darktable seems to be it.
Thank you for you help.