Master of understatement

Terry Border strikes again

Technique-wise, I wonder how that one was taken. I wouldn’t be surprised to be told it is upside down (ie, wires actually hanging off something), but that doesn’t explain the “neck” of the plug.

Perhaps some well placed wire behind the cords to give the necessary stiffness?

giggity

1 Like

Or even some fishing line to suspend things just right that are composited out later. I’ve had an idea for a long time to do this with an “exploded view” of a handgun or rifle. Basically hang each part from a fishing string suspending in mid-air roughly where it should exist. Still not sure what the best thing to use to attach the fishing line to each part - maybe some hot-glue or something…

@patdavid I have hot glue and spools of fishing line. Maybe I will try it one day…

There is an in-length explanation in the Time-Life-Photgraphy books on how they did that Dali-shot.

Short version: it’s the one out of seven or seventeen tries. Everything got really complicated because the cats didn’t like their part (they were thrown into the picture by three assistants wearing very thick coats and leather gloves) and while somebody developed the negative in order to see if things are OK, a bunch of assistants had to hunt the cats down, grab them and hold them until the next try (!), while another team had to clean the studio and re-arrange everything.

All in all it took the best part of a day to get the result in camera (no tricks here). Dali jumped way higher during the first shots, but there was always a cat or some water in front of his face …

1 Like

Karl Taylor recently did a recreation of it for the BBC: https://www.karltayloreducation.com/karl-taylors-recreation-of-dali-atomicus-on-the-bbc/?c=cf13ce20305c

2 Likes