Mean/Median Stack of multiple dark frames before demosaicing.

Just read the exchange between me and u/Entropy512 on this thread. We pretty much dug up multiple ways of creating a pre-averaged dark frame raw file, which is where the subtraction should be happening ideally, IE before raw processing. Read from post 12 to post 21 on this thread to glean a how to on multiple workflows on how to do it with their pros and cons. The easiest (no cli use needed) but technically inaccurate (good for amp glow but poor for hot pixels) is Kandao Raw+. The best way is to take the camera raw dark frames and average them in Siril, with no demosaicing or processing, and then use makeDNG (havenā€™t tried) or the Imagemagick
fits/tiff to DNG conversion and Exiftool raw metadata cloning from original camera file workflow (successfully made it work).

For an example where I made it work (output files), see https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sHx5F0WFi1-jyifwxTDFLx6x1E-IbX6v

No, Iā€™m presenting hugin_stacker as a possible addition to your list. I just donā€™t know the best way to do the initial raw conversion of the dark frames before stacking. Command line would be best. There should be no demosaicing.

Hi itā€™s been 2 years since the last activity [quote=ā€œWaveluke, post:42, topic:9752ā€]
The best way is to take the camera raw dark frames and average them in Siril, with no demosaicing or processing, and then use makeDNG (havenā€™t tried) or the Imagemagick
fits/tiff to DNG conversion and Exiftool raw metadata cloning from original camera file workflow
[/quote]
is this still the recommended workflow?! I quick-read the latest manual and did keyword searches but I did not see anything. it surprises me there is no super simple way of forced averaging whatever is in a directory.

Itā€™s what I use, still works fine, but yeah would be better for a more automated way, or at the very least, allow Rawtherapee to read greyscale tiffs as undemosaiced raw files in linear colorspace for dark subtraction so the workflow is lighter and there is no need to do the Imagemagick and Exiftool commands