Milky Way, again...

This is the first image since using DT 3.0 with which I have some hassle using Filmic RGB.
Especially the foreground troubles me… Maybe I got that picture a bit underexposed?

P8150192_03.ORF.xmp (15.3 KB)

I’m curisous if someone can get more out of that RAW…
P8150192.ORF (13.5 MB)
By the way I shot some 10 pictures of that scene. Would it be helpful to stack that images together? However, I have next to nothing experience in stitching stars…

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

6 Likes

Filmic compresses the low and highlights emphasizing the midtones, so it might not be appropriate for this photo, as you’d lose detail in the dark areas using filmic.

1 Like

Stacking should help a lot, especially with your sensor.
You can go the FOSS way as explained here: PIXLS.US - Processing a nightscape in Siril

You can also go the ‘more easy way’ using Sequator (if you do not use Windows it will run without problems under wine). I say ‘more easy’ as Sequator will do most of the FOSS way automagically, but will not give you very much control over the process. It will also do the blending between the sky and foreground automatically.

I suggest to try at least this time both ways and decide for yourself what is better for you :wink:

1 Like

My attempt

EDIT: with more contrast in the sky

2 Likes

My try.

P8150192.ORF.xmp (19.1 KB)

3 Likes

Here is my take:

I did the processing in 2 steps:

In retrospective, some more work will be needed to remove also the green cast (maybe I just choose a wrong white balance?!? )

3 Likes

BTW, which lens did you used? It looks like it can use some flat frame treatment to get rid of the vignetting and color cast.

I used this manual lens:

I see, I use something similar, the LAOWA 9mm f2.8 for Fuji.

Doing what is described here: Flat-Field - RawPedia helped a lot to fix the vignetting and color cast. You can have a go, it is not that complicated.

1 Like

P8150192.ORF.xmp (18.0 KB)

1 Like

my attempt…

P8150192.ORF.arp (15.6 KB)

3 Likes

milky.way.again.orf.xmp (15.3 KB) darktable 3.2.1

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

P8150192.ORF.pp3 (14.2 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for posting… Milky way shots are always challenging…
My take DT 3.2.1

P8150192_01.ORF.xmp (17.4 KB)

1 Like

My attempt in RT

P8150192-1.jpg.out.pp3 (12.6 KB)

1 Like

Photoflow:

P8150192_a.jpg.pfi (46.3 KB)

2 Likes

Your result looks very good, except the main subject (the Milky Way) is almost invisible.

1 Like

Yes, using the defaults of the filmic module lead to that effect. But by changing the “black relative exposure” and the “dynamic range scaling” to extrem values (-16EV & +50% respectivley) I got better results for the low region. In fact similar results as by using the basecurve with two exposure fusions.

I installed siril 0.9.12 and gave it a quick glance. That’s defenitely worth a deeper look. But I guess I would need some more cold winter nights to dig into it. Thanks !

Many thanks very much for all the edits!
Especially the milky way “contrast equalizer” triple and the use of the “color zone module” in order to tame the red tent I found very helpful

2 Likes