Milky Way under attack from Salzburger Land

Hi everybody, three years ago I took some Milky Way shots during a stay on a place 200 m above the Enns river, between Schladming and Radstadt, Austria.
Though the place was very dark, some faint clouds were illuminated by the city below.
The photo I want to post for playing is a bit out of focus. Besides this issue, I fail to get a decent Milky Way out of it. So - go play

This is my best result so far

2019_09_29-22_28_39_DSCF2870_RT-15.jpg.out.pp3 (14.5 KB)

2019_09_29-22_28_39_DSCF2870.RAF (32.2 MB)

6 Likes

My version…

2019_09_29-22_28_39_DSCF2870.RAF.xmp (24.7 KB)

6 Likes

Well I played with your image and I feel you have done a good job with it. I couldn’t do any better. I tried to find more color in the nebula, but was unable to.

1 Like

@dqpcoxeas Your version shows what I am doing wrong. Too many, too bright stars make the Milky Way and its structures appear too faint … I can’t see the gas and dust clouds for the stars.

2 Likes

I’m no astrophotographer but here’s one take at it. Converted in ART, edited in Affinity Photo. Being an X-Trans sensor, I’m not familiar with the best demosaicing algo. If it had been a Bayer I would’ve probably used RCD. There seems to be a lot of small “wormy” noise / detail that I was unable to remove and it really picked up contrast in the final image. However, I’m certainly no expert and I may be doing something seriously wrong…

I made no attempt to remove stars nor reduce their size. From what I’ve seen most astrophotographers use PS plugins for that although there’s a video tutorial on one technique using GIMP: How To Reduce Star Sizes In Gimp - YouTube However, I wasn’t sure of the Value Propagation filter best equivalent tool / technique (if any) in AP. Also there are FAR more stars in this Milky Way image than his single-object images.

1 Like