Missing EXIF on export?

It does, is just that the spec for it is relatively new and it may not be coded in your software yet.

Png files are a collection of chunks; they defined an exif chunk, and said, do whatever you do for jpeg metadata and stick it in here…

1 Like

Thanks Glen, I didn’t know. My primary raster editor is probably 20 years old. I’m just starting to investigate new alternatives and going through the usual ramp up bumps and hiccups.

I use just three image file formats in rawproc, my hack software: JPEG, TIFF, and PNG. It is amazing how disparate, yet related are the metadata schemes in each. EXIF is a common thread, but the access to it in the respective reference implementation libraries is different. IPTC and XMP are well-intentioned alternatives, but have their own challenges and fragmented use. You can find all three in most camera images, ‘exiftool -G’ is an insightful command…

The metadata tools exiftool and exiv2 are humungous collections of logic to sort through these differences, and yet are still challenged by things such as lens identification; even though the tags are there, camera manufacturers use them sporadically or inconsistently.

An idle rant, while housebound… :wine_glass:

1 Like