Monitor recommendation

Hello,
I need a hardware recommendation for a monitor. We need a home office work place which must be in our kitchen due to space constraints. My requirements are:

• pretty and small 24‘‘ monitor
  • not too expensive
  • ideally with a wall mount swivel thing
  • 4K if not too much extra costs
  • power and Signal via usb cable (if that is already a common thing) such that I do not need a power brick
    Any help is appreciated. Kind regards,
    Daniel

No particular recommendation from my side, but two remarks. I have never seen a monitor pre-packaged with a swivel/wall mount. Probably need to buy that separately.
I also don’t think monitors can get enough power out of a USB-c/thunderbolt connector. You probably cannot get around a separate power adapter.

Thanks for the help. However, I thought that the 100 W from usb c PD should be enough for a monitor. But I never did any research on that.

Morning, @DanielLikesDT,

24" … not too expensive … wall mount(able) … 4K

To me that sounds as if you should have a look at
a kitchen-TV.

I doubt, though, that they handle power and signal
via USB.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Lots of threads have been started on monitors already, so you will gain good insights using the search function for those.

IMO 4k is not desirable 24". Save some money, processing time and perhaps watts to get a 2k instead.

1 Like

I wish I could remember where I read this, but somewhere out there, I recently read that the ideal pixel size to suit the human eye is found in 30 inch 2K monitors. 4K would be overkill, at least for photo/video editing. If this sounds familiar to anybody, please speak up. :face_with_monocle:

I have two 27", one 1440p and another 4k, and the higher resolution is definitely noticeable, even at longer distances, I think this would be aggravated even more at 30".

1 Like

@hatsnp I would love to sit down in front of a 4K monitor to see what I’m missing. Right now I’m using a 27" 2K which replaced a 24" 1080p. I’m very happy with that.
I tried to trace back my steps that took me to the “30” 2K monitor" article i read but no luck so far. This I do remember. I found it while researching how to correct color banding, particularly when watching video that’s been compressed. I know I’m going off topic here, but I might as well share what I found out there. I use mpv as my video player. To greatly reduce banding using mpv, add

deband=yes
deband-iterations=1
deband-threshold=64
deband-range=16
deband-grain=48

to your mpv.conf file. It doesn’t work miracles but certainly makes banding tolerable. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

On a 24" screen, yes, but a bigger screen at 4K gives a lot more valuable screen space for your timelines, editors and whatnot imo.

As crazy as it is the actual standard size is 27 inches - smaller monitors cost the same, sometimes more. I think 2k resolution is enough for my use case, however I have a 27 inch 4k monitor as my main device and I would not like to go back to less resolution with that size.
About the power topic I think the Thanatomanic is right: basically all monitors come with power supply and it is only possible to drain the power from the monitor to charge laptops, mobiles, etc.
I am still unsure if I could connect any laptop with a USB c port to the monitor and have power, signal and data transmitted … I assume there are some requirements necessary.

Instead on focusing on 2k vs 4k, look for a monitor that has a good sRBG coverage. I bought a Sceptre brand a few months ago and I’m really happy with the price/features.

1 Like

I’ve used Dell 24" 4k monitor for years. They’re good, and affordable.

24" is perfect for 2x 4k. On my current 27", I’d really prefer 5k@2x for a comfortable UI size, which is too expensive. So I instead run my 27" at 4k@1.75x, which tends to be a bit more trouble than the straight 4k@2x of a 24".

Thanks for all the tips. The monitor is mainly for my wifes office applications and only sometimes to be used by me. I have actually ordered this for 200 € (with an amazon voucher of 100 € where I do not understand the conditions):

https://www.amazon.de/Zoll-QHD-Monitor-Bildschirm-Höhenverstellbar/dp/B09P1GH8RN

According to spec it should have 2k, 100% sRGB, 97% DCI-P3, all sorts of connections, factory pre-calibration, … I am a bit sceptical as I have never heard of the company before. Anyway, I will report back when I can compare to my Samsung 4k display from the stone ages of UHD (which I always considered to be acceptable).

1 Like

Please do report!
I could fit a vertical second screen and that might do the job if is serviceable

You may want to try before you buy.
My personal monitor is Benq 27" 2k and I use it all the time.
Next to it is my work monitor (that I can use too) NEC 27" 4k

While the second monitor is nice and I do utilize it now and then - I find myself using the 2k monitor most of the time (for my personal needs). For work - I do benefit of the bigger resolution.

As others have mentioned - if you want to stick with 24" (honestly - this is a bit small to my taste) - you may want to focus on the color accuracy - not on the 2k / 4k.

As of now - I can’t imagine myself being able to benefit from 24" 4k screen. If it was 27" - yes - maybe I would go this route (providing the cost is bearable) but that is about it.

on the USB question - maybe there are benefits that I am not aware of - but even with the NEC - I am not utilizing the USB.

1 Like

In two post above this he stated he already ordered a monitor.

Sorry… my miss…

Okay. First impressions from comparing my Samsung UD28D590D and the new Innocn 24D1Q:

• simple design, very small bezel, stand is heavy and usable
  • attached to my PC with a RTX 2060 Super, running Ubuntu, the monitor was detected right away and I could configure both screen without problems (only the scaling factor for the UI is always the same)
  • Resolution of my 27’’ 4k monitor is much better and if you pixel-peep the difference is very much visible, as soon as you move more than roughly 80 cm … 100 cm away the difference disappears for my perception
  • colors are different compared to my calibrated screen, however I assume that the colors of the innocn are more likely to be correct as the screen is factory calibrated and has a much bigger color gamut
  • using this website LCD monitor test images I made some simple tests and both screens were very similar except for Contrast and White Saturation where in both cases the Innocn was significantly better

To summarize my findings: 4k is just great if you are a pixel-peeper; the new monitor is much better with regards to contrast and color reproduction

2 Likes

I am quite curious how this works. Is there a way one can assess factory calibration vs actual calibration with a tool (sypder, calibrite, color monkey etc)?

Even if we are to assume that the factory calibration is correct (even better) - it is a point in time - never changes. While the monitor will gradually age - so eventually it will drift from the point in time.

Besides - how does factory calibration really works? Is it like a stamp that is applied to all monitors that are same brand and model or there is actually a measuring device that assess each monitor separately and the factory setting is different for each and every monitor?

I did notice the difference between the 2 (factory and custom with a tool) on my screen too but I am not sure how can I conclude with confidence that one is better than the other.

The Dell UP2414Q and P2415Q are both quite old and therefore cheap second hand and have matte 24" 4k IPS panels with 10bit color and come factory calibrated. The UP2414Q supports the larger Adobe RGB color space, the only P2415Q only sRGB. They used to be among Dells high end models and in my opinion offer very decent image quality (especially for the current prices: often below 100€/$).

The downside are a few things that became more and more common in the last years: no shiny glass suface with thin bezels and touch buttons and no USB-C (just a USB 3 hub). There are DisplayPort to USB-C adapters that inject power as well so you can have a one connector solution for your laptop nonetheless .