Morning foggy view from hill

Hi, one photo from a few days ago after reaching top of the hill in a foggy morning. I feel that my edits of photo have a little too much hdr effect.

DSCF7743.RAF (32.3 MB)
DSCF7743.RAF.xmp (10.5 KB)

Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

6 Likes

dt 3.4.1. I’m trying the USM module instead of Contrast Equalizer for sharpening, this time.

DSCF7743.RAF.xmp (7.2 KB)

2 Likes

Nice View! I don’t see much of an HDR effect on your edit …

RT 5.8 dev, using local adjustments to get mor structure in the clouds. Hopefully not too much!

DSCF7743_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (16.9 KB)

2 Likes

Hello,
Nice landscape. My proposal

Cheers

DSCF7743.RAF.xmp (8.8 KB)

1 Like

I like the strip of blue sky in the background. Thanks for posting.

DSCF7743.RAF.xmp (12.5 KB)

5 Likes

DSCF7743.RAF.xmp (11.4 KB)

3 Likes

Filmulator:

• Profiled CA on
  • Profiled Distortion on
  • Exposure Comp -1/6
  • Drama 100
  • White Clipping Point 0.593
  • Highlight Brightness 1000

And I leveled the horizon.

3 Likes

Less is more…that was my approach. My first edit was way to sharp and contrasted and it killed that wonderful hazy foggy background so I thought maybe not even any tone curve and let that background stay hazy and maybe more like it was. Its so tempting to try to get more from the background but I think its a nice contrast to the tree line and grass and rocks in the foreground. You could go even softer I suppose for a real dreamy look. I may also have the grass too bright and saturated wrt original but that too is a variable in the outcome…and it seems to look more so after import than it did in DT…I had more blue in the green

1 Like

I can see there being a lot of room for processing and creativity here.

I wouldn’t call it HDR but would say that the foreground is rather crunchy, which gets in the way of showcasing the finer details.

PS Care must be taken not to burn the tops of where the trees meet the cloud.

@grega Maybe add ShareAlike to the licence…?

morning.foggy.view.pp3 (20.3 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development

3 Likes

Thanks for posting @grega
darktable 3.4.1

DSCF7743_02.RAF.xmp (15.8 KB)

2 Likes

Another beautiful photo!

The blue sky stripe in the background is excellent. It gives the scene an immense depth.
I tried again to paint with light to create a connection between the hill and the illuminated clouds in the middle of the photo to create a kind of light oasis. Such areas of light are then indicated again and again on the horizon in this wide band of sky.

DSCF7743_02.RAF.xmp (60,9 KB)

darktable 3.5.0~git2425.f3fc325d39-1

12 Likes

3.5.0~git2418.

DSCF7743.RAF.xmp (12,8 Ko)

1 Like

nUFraw => GIMP-LAB

1 Like

Very nice landscape, thank you @grega for sharing!
Here my try (darktable 3.5):

DSCF7743_01.RAF.xmp (10.3 KB)

6 Likes

I like landscapes b/w, as usual.

Went back to working on this one a few times, never was quite satisfied. Always feels like foliage and grass are my nemesis. Now I think it’s ok, though. :slight_smile:

RT5.8 dev

DSCF7743.jpg.out.pp3 (19.3 KB)

1 Like

@s7habo The drop in illumination on the left portion of the tree stand is rather sudden and uncomfortable.

I see it differently. This is for me light patch that moves on the ground and has caught only a part of the trees.