Motherboard naming?

Originally I had plans to make my trusty 7th Samurai a trifle more modern, and update his Ryzen CPU to the newly launched 3rd Generation Ryzen.

That, of course, would force me to get a new motherboard, other RAMs, NMVes, &c, &c, &c.

I started to read the specs and slowly came to the conclusion that I would have to pay a l-o-t of money just to get a very small improvement. It simply was not worth it.

During that process, I noticed the names they use for motherboards these days. I mean, some time back, a motherboard would have names such as Hero, Rampage, Aorus, or Tomahawk.

Gone are those days. One of the best ones today is called Godlike.

Wonder what will come next?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Possibly a swing back. Marketing folks may eventually think(*) that these names don’t look too serious and look like a d:ck contest. So to look professional they will go back to names that look like license plates: DCZ-899-KW.

(*) “think” could be an exaggeration, speaking of marketing people.

You don’t need to upgrade to an X570 motherboard in order to use 3rd gen Ryzen. That could save you a lot.

I wait for the day they call a MB asparagus.

True.
But how much fun is that? :slight_smile:

I looked at Wikipedia’s list of Sony Xperia smartphones yesterday. Ready? Here we go:

• 2016 Xperia X
  • 2016 Xperia XZ
  • 2017 Xperia XZ1 (in my crazy mind, what follows “foo” should be “foo2”, not “foo1”)
  • 2018 Xperia XZ2
  • 2018 Xperia XZ3
  • 2019 Xperia 10 (X?)
  • 2019 Xperia 1 (?!?!)

I need to lie down…

Sony is different altogether, known for its product SKU hell since the beginning of time. The same pair of headphones could have 30 SKUs. Differences could be as minute as the date or place of manufacturing.
:man_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

Does anyone remember the Android Phone Name Generator from back in 2011 or so?

Sadly, the site is no longer functional. :frowning: