Mountains at sunset

During some recent trip to the Alpes, I’ve been practicing a bit with shooting mountains at sunset… here are two of the nicest shots (both processed with photoflow).

What do you think?

7 Likes

Nice pictures, I especially like the first one. I understand that this is a realistic processing, but a little stronger gradient on the sky (or somehow darken the sky) in the first one would feature the illuminated mountain some more. As it is now there’s a lot of blue where nothing happens and the mountain which is the center of the attention doesn’t pop as much as it could.
Just my view on an already very nice picture.

On the second one, could you make at least some features visible on the mountain?
Otherwise it could any clouds anywhere and the black part could be cut out by hand, you know what I mean?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! Here are a couple of attempts following your suggestions:

There is still room for pulling some more detail out of the mountain in the second shot…

Wonderful images @Carmelo_DrRaw! I’m particularly fond of the first one, and I rather like the simplicity and starkness of the solid blue sky. I think I prefer it to your gradient version. The only thing I might have considered might be to ever so slightly push the oranges a little bit warmer (maybe).

1 Like

Thanks Patrick! Indeed my original idea was to go for a sort-of bi-chromatic look, but it is always fun and instructive to try out what others suggest.

When you say

do you mean increase the saturation, or really change the Hue to a warmer tone?

Glad you liked the shots!

I was thinking to increase the saturation a little, but honestly the more I look at it the more I like the original shot. The tones are pleasing enough on their own, and nicely understated.

1 Like

Looking at the gradient one I also think it is not as good as I thought it would be…:grinning:

1 Like

I downloaded your picture and darkened the sky very slghtly, and this is more like what I meant…

PS: sorry if this may come across as critique, it is actually not. I think the pictures are beautifull as they are. They just inspired me to think about what could be done, thus my suggestions. If I would have taken those I would probably leave them untouched…
:slight_smile:

Great photos. :slight_smile:

But, to my taste, the snow in the first photo is a bit too blue and the lower part (forest) a bit too dark. Here is the first photo after a very small tweak through tone enhancer and color temperature filters of GMIC (both applied only to the lower part of the image via layer mask)