Moving Keyword Tags in the Tree

Okay, I have read and reread the manual.
I have no problem grabbing a keyword tag and dragging it up or down the tag tree to a new place — so long as my move can be done within the visible portion of the tags tree.

However, most of the time, where I am wanting to drag the tag may be way off the visible area.

I can find no solution for doing this.

Maybe one time out of ten tries, I can position the cursor in some mysterious spot to the left and the tag tree will rapidly scroll one way or the other, usually a mile too far; but, it will move; however, the other nine attempts, the tree does not budge.
This lack of being able to climb the tag tree leaves me with two options, neither of them good.
I can create an entire new tag in the desired location, apply it to all affected images, then remove the old tag from all images, and finally, delete the old tag.
Or, option two, I can drag/drop the tag as far up the tree as I can go; then, wait for the database to catch up, scroll the tree, and drag/drop again, and so forth and so on until I get where I wanted to go.

It matters not which tag panel I am working in; left side, right side, or in the tag manager; I can find no simple method.

Surely there is a way to accomplish this.
What am I missing ?
Thanks.

No idea if you are missing something.

I prefer to just create a new tag at the required position, select all images with the “old” tag, and change the tagging. Then remove the old tag (which has no more use at that point). At least that works whatever the distance in the tree, and adds some protection against dropping the tag in the wrong place (finger slips happen, at least to me).

Which digiKam version are you using? There were older versions where the tag tree didn’t scroll when drag&drop an item. Normally, the tag tree starts to scroll when you touch the upper or lower lines with the tag.

Version 7.3.0