Natron Developer

Hi There,

I’m a software developer trying to reconvert into an artist, I decided to make the switch from nuke to Natron.
I like it so far and I believe I could be a bit of a help for the development of Natron, I have already successfully build the last version myself and started peeking into the source code.
I do not want to make any promise, I have few year of Qt development on the back and would like to focus on implementing some quality of life improvement to the UI, as well as some bug fixing that might affect me now or later. but cannot dedicate time to other feature I might not find utility in.

I took a look around the github issues tracker, and would like to ask if there is anything I should know about how to push any commit ? I’m on windows and am not able to do any testing on linux/mac.

Cheers,
Sci

5 Likes

Hi and welcome,

Any help to fix or enhance Natron is very much appreciated.

See Natron/CONTRIBUTING.md at RB-2.3 · NatronGitHub/Natron · GitHub for generic info.

Pull requested will be reviewed, the more testing you do before the pull request the better (tested on multiple platforms and successful unit tests are preferred).

1 Like

Let me propose to install a Patreon account for NATRON where users can establish a monthly fee to sustain the work on this program. I would gladly participate in this endeavior.
Instead of paying a bounty for a specific issue one could then offer a list of possible improvements where all supporters can choose their favorite in accordance with their financial involvement.
This scheme has worked in the past for KRITA.

Hi,

Funding has been discussed in the past, but has never resulted in anything, mostly due to the lack of developers. At the moment we have two developers that maintains Natron and the plugins in their spare-time, barely enough to keep things a float… I doubt funding will change that.

[rodlie] rodlie https://discuss.pixls.us/u/rodlie Ole-André
https://discuss.pixls.us/u/rodlie
January 23

Hi,

Funding has been discussed in the past, but has never resulted in
anything, mostly due to the lack of developers. At the moment we have
two developers that maintains Natron and the plugins in their
spare-time, barely enough to keep things a float… I doubt funding will
change that.

Visit Topic https://discuss.pixls.us/t/natron-developer/15956/4 or
reply to this email to respond.

Nevertheless there should be a POSSIBILITY for someone WILLING TO
SHOW HIS GRATITUDE by offering money to those who work for NATRON; if
a Patreon account is too costly perhaps Inria could open an account
for this cause.

Having a means to get money - even a small amount - without any further
efforts on the developers’ side is a win-win situation in my view.

Just open a channel for those who are eager to support the cause without
great campaigning and futher ado.

Could be done as a topic on the main NATRON side under “support us” or
“donate”.

As there is no central organisation for any funds to go to it would (should) be up to any individual developer to set up a funding campaign to support their own efforts. This is what happens with GIMP currently GIMP - Donate

The issue of funding and infrastructure was brought up when I discussed ASIFA-Hollywood. Might be worth a read: ASIFA-Hollywood

@SciMunk

Why not starting with developing needed OFX Nodes, for example a GridWarp node.
Something like this:

There is already a Bounty on it:
https://www.bountysource.com/issues/57502547-spline-deformer-enhancement?utm_campaign=plugin&utm_content=tracker%2F83915136&utm_medium=issues&utm_source=github

See the issue here:

A useful paper for this:

HELLO! I’m a special effects amateur artist. I wanted to thank you sooo much for your interest in this. If I had the skills, we would have something awesome today. I am constantly looking to see if there will be any new updates and features to Natron. I have been trying to ditch adobe products for some time now. I have had a difficult time with Natron in transitioning. I really wish we can get a good planar tracker to go with Natron and I wonder if I may provide the idea of getting Natron to also offer layers instead of just nodes. There are not very many tutorials on Natron and I have had to beg for some that are currently out there based on specific requests. PLEASE, indulge me! Will there be any such anticipated updates on features?

Development can be tracked through the changelog or by browsing the commits.

The current tracker is what we got, no further development is planned to my knowledge, at least not until we get developers willing to work on it.

Natron is a node-based application, there are no plans to implement layers.

There are many videos on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLprXrT2oteICaZqvsrMQJHy4xIjkqqThH&fbclid=IwAR3g-jp9TcoJjirxKvjWILAEoAJmZMuE0GfRb7TCwjHV0Vsv1eeAXrl6WiE

Most (beginner) tutorials for Nuke will also apply for Natron.

1 Like

You can watch Nuke tutorials (there are a lot) and the same ideology can be translated over to Natron in most cases. They’re very similar to each other.

Check out Olive if you want layers. Natron will remain a linear node based compositor like Nuke and Fusion.

Blender’s tracker is great and it can export CHAN files which can be imported into Natron in a pesudo 3D space. Try that.

Hello,
I’m Trying to help enhance NATRON (and already did with small documentation updates)

Is it possible to take images from NATRON process them with Python then bring them back in the core Engine ?

My goal is to use OPENCV to bring optical flow and warping nodes to NATRON. As I don’t know C programming I was thinking about PYTHON that would be an easier road.

GMIC and Shadertoy seem a bit too limited for this because they don’t give access to good librarys

I’m pretty sure Frederic Devernay did some tests on OFX optical flow but never published them. and I’d prefer not to bother him with feature requests