Natron development status?

Same here; I am exploring the code to find a way in. I have mostly been struggling with the documentation of the build system so far to get it to build and run in a debugger tbh. I would love to see Natron continue to evolve and I hope to become of more use in the future :).

2 Likes

I think patreon would gain more attention than bug bounty. People sometime just want to donate a few cent rather than set certain amount of money on specific feature.

1 Like

Patreon can only work if there are active developers.
The goal with bouties is to attract developers who may want to try to tackle down a bug.

Candidate developers can ask me questions about the code. I may or may not be able to answer these, but as you see I am still monitoring this forum, so take advantage of it.

5 Likes

Good day!

Is there any progress with finding project contributor/maintainer? Could you share what has been done and what is being done? What can a non-coder interested in project do to move it forward? Where could we post?

We need to keep the great Natron alive!

There was a user called @threedslider who seemed keen on restarting development. See this thread: It is cool some feature if it will implement for Natron by contributor - #5 by threedslider

However I haven’t seen any update from him since February. There is another thread discussing this here: Can we talk about the future

The best thing non-coders can do is help out with documentation. I see you’ve already commented on this thread Documentation: please help write the docs! - #16 by afre There’s no maintainer for the documentation so if you spot anything missing go ahead add it. No need to wait for permission!

3 Likes

I went ahead and tried to move the docs to the standard readthedocs theme. I do not feel knowledgeable enough yet to write docs for Natron as I am only making my first steps with this software. But I can see it is something that deserves to be not left behind. So once again I want to ask, what can we do to search for a project maintainer? Maybe we could turn to some educational institutions? I mean, looking for contributors among the users of the software might not be the best way to do it. Maybe look for them among programmers, that look for a project to practice on?

From our end there we will be going over sea to to find cheaper talent. for coding just so that we can cultivate community.

We are looking at getting one of the original devs to come and train though. We haven’t approached them yet as we are still working out the production.

Ad

Thats a great idea about getting universities invovled and school involved. every semester a student could be working on natron/ other open source. I’m surprised schools haven’t caught on to this yet.

Perhaps we should put a call out to the schools on the natron site and schools can get an honorable mention.

It wouldn’t hurt hitting up schools and studios to do for this kinda thing.

Ad

I do not feel knowledgeable enough yet to write docs for Natron as I am only making my first steps with this software.

That’s understandable and is the same for me. Still, as no one else is doing it go ahead and write/edit if there’s anything missing.

Maybe we could turn to some educational institutions? I mean, looking for contributors among the users of the software might not be the best way to do it. Maybe look for them among programmers, that look for a project to practice on?

Great idea! I remember that between 2006 and 2012 GIMP had Peter Sikking and his students hack on GIMP’s user interface (I had fun following this related blog of UI designs http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/ ). There’s a bit of information on that here: 20 Years of GIMP, release of GIMP 2.8.16 - GIMP Maybe you can ask them how that collaboration came about.

@ivangretsky @Adam_Earle You should totally go ahead with this! As far as I can tell right now there aren’t any others looking to make this happen so you should do it :slight_smile: Are there any institutions or courses in particular that you can look to for support?

Hi Hellocatfood,

Sorry if there is not update yet since February, i say you will need to wait a little more because i am new to natron and it takes some time to finish. So i am solo and it is hard to balance on way good, again to wait a little for doing to make more my time from my work in IT, i will say to my boss to reduce it for my job then i spend more time in Natron dev :slight_smile:

Hope that it will make sense !

2 Likes

Tomorrow I will wait for agreement to get more time, my boss will decide if it will be or not ?

I cross my fingers that it works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Damn I will wait a month again for a professional reason :/…

@yomgui is working on porting Natron to QT5. If there are any developers here, maybe you guys could team up.

1 Like

Happy to help developing with Qt5.

Also I saw that are maintainers needed?
ta

1 Like

Also there’s a Discord Server for Natron, made and managed by me. Omar and Thomas are admins there. I’ve made dedicated channels for developers there. So if there are multiple developers, the Discord server could be a great way for all to communicate. Yomgui is already in the server and is posting updates on his progress with the QT5 port.

Awesome. Could you please share an invite link?
ta

here

If you need any assistance, you can mention me there

2 Likes

Any news on Blender Foundation helping Natron take off?

1 Like

Was there any indication of that? (Link?)

There is no news about this, but little help is a great help.
For example,

• I try filling gaps in documentation (I need it once a lecturer :)), feel free
  • I learn Natron code, mostly gui code, I worked a lot on QT-based projects, I’m not an experienced programmer, but I can make minor changes on UI / UX side or re-design things, feel free
  • use Natron on your project, write feedbacks
  • grow the community / user base, spread Natron
  • drop a message to your programmer buddy :slight_smile:
    and more
4 Likes