Need a new laptop!

I am in need of a new laptop running windows 11. I have looked at several units and would like to know if anyone has any recommendations. Right now I considering HP Envy, most are customizable from ram to GPU, storage, display etc.

For my editing, I use darktable and want to be sure whatever I get will do the job.

1 Like

If you can afford it one with a discrete GPU is going to be the best… I have bought a couple for the lab from lenovo…I think the model is the legion series…they are gaming laptops… one of those will likely be your best bet if Windows will be your OS…

EDIT

These ones…I think you can get Intel and Ryzen models…

1 Like

Checkout Framework. They make customizable laptops with repair ability and longevity in mind, offer spare parts etc. The screen is 3:2 with good gamut coverage, which sounds great to edit photos on.

I bought a Lenovo ThinkBook 16 with AMD 5900hx and rtx 3060 GPU about half a year ago and I am quite happy with it. I first thought on the Legion series, too, which is quite similar.

1 Like

Yes the discrete GPU seems to be important. Looking at Nvidia Ge Force cards where possible.

Started looking at Lenovo and will check out what you have been using.

Will checkout Framework as well.

1 Like

You’ll also want to pay attention to the screen. As @hatsnp says, with good gamut coverage and accurate colours. Factory calibrated, if you can find one.

NotebookCheck is a good source for “technical” reviews.

You will pay for it but you can find some purpose built content creator models… Apple of course and then some like this…

And interesting ones like this with a configurable second screen for touch or whatever…

I’m just looking for a replacement for my Windows Laptop. Currently I’m not too happy with the performance of the Intel UHD 620 (i7 8550U CPU). Pictures often take up to 30-40s for exporting, working with three instances of Diffuse & Sharpen introduces a ~10s refresh on actions (and I already checked out the memory recommendations regarding darktable configuration).

So I’m looking for a Laptop with a discrete GPU, has anyone of you an idea of how performance will be different between the mobile versions of

• GeForce GTX 1050 (640 pipelines)
  • GeForce GTX 1050 Max-Q (640 pipelines)
  • GeForce GTX 1050 ti (768 pipelines)
  • GeForce GTX 1050 ti Max-Q (768 pipelines)

Assuming they all would have the same 4GB of RAM (I think 2GB doesn’t make too much sense when working on 20MBit RAWs and much of this nice scene referred module stuff :wink:

Thanks in advance - cheers,
Lars.