New Interface but what about better keyboard integration?

Darktable’s new UI is great and a lot of activity is there. That’s good.
What I miss now however is context dependent keyboard accelerators.

For instance I would like to have a single button to disable active and expanded module I’m currently using for the ‘before and after’ effect. I don’t want to take my eyes from image and reach with mouse pointer to ‘activate’ icon.
Second scenario: In active and expanded module I type ‘d’ to activate drawn mask and then ‘b’ - for brush, ‘c’ - for circle and so on. Similar for the show/hide mask, temporarily disable mask, and so on.

Those accelerator are local which means that ‘c’ will activate ‘add circle’ only if ‘drawn mask’ blend mode is selected. If not then it can do other action.

I have looked quickly at the source code the there seems to be code for local accelerators which is not actually active? Not finished?:

#if 0 //BAUHAUS doesn’t support keyaccels yet…

What needs to be done here?

3 Likes

Actually @pphoto triggered a similar feature request on Github. Let me copy the link…

I’ll be back…
… here we go…
https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/2459

Not 100% your attempt, however same or similar motivation

Cheers
Axel

I opened this issue is for another specific keyboard shortcut.

But generally it is a good idea to review Darktable’s possibilities with shortcuts, what’s possible and what should be added.

For analysis I exported my shortcuts and made a spreadsheet out of it.
With a spreadsheet program like Libreoffice Calc it’s easy to sort and filter the available functions.
keyboardrc.odc.zip (35.9 KB)

Love keyboard shortcuts. But has anyone else found that Darktable occasionally ‘forgets’ a shortcut and starts activating random modules? For example, I have ‘R’ mapped to activate the retouch module but then sometimes after a period of editing it starts activating the ‘Monochrome’ module instead. Using ‘T’ to activate the Tone Curve module often causes Darktable to crash.

I’ve got into the habit of periodically restarting DT to resolve.

Candidate for a bug.
It looks like there are no accels in the code to serve masks.