New Windows builds

Just in case:

I donā€™t remember Windows 10 being available for upgrade from Vista. Was it?

Also, you probably have some kind of anti-virus installed, plus the SmartScreen ā€œfeatureā€, that prevented me from installing multiple open source programs, before I disabled it. (It checks ā€œunknownā€ programs against the MS whitelist.) Did you check this?

Thanks for testing gtk2 branch. I guess itā€™s related to this issue. If you have a filesystem with lots of folders this damn FileChooserButtons take a lot of time. Maybe thatā€™s even worse on Win10

That was it!!! Earlier, I answered that I didnā€™t see any A: drive listed anywhere in Windows, but that was before I looked in the Bios.

Claes asked me to check whether the SSDā€™s run in IDE or AHCI mode. So, I opened the BIOS and indeed all disks run in AHCI mode. Doing so, I saw a question whether there is or not a floppy drive on A: that was set to YES. I selected NO and rebooted.

Now the gtk2 build starts in 6 s. I will try the gtk3 build next.

Thankā€™s so much every one for your help. This problem is solved as far as I am concerned.

2 Likes

Yes it was and I am fortunate it was because I donā€™t boot Windows that often on my main PC. I feel Windows10 is much better that Vista and more like Windows7 which is what I use on my slates.

Thank you for information, and I agree, Win 10 should run better than Vista on the same machine, if there are no compatibility issues.

Programs are normally lively on my setup except for RT. That was before I did a small change in a BIOS setting.

Thanks to your questions and ilias_giarimis suggestion, I found out that there is an option in the BIOS asking whether there is or not a Floppy connected. After setting that option properly (I have no floppy installed) RT now starts quickly.

(Edit) Now the gtk3 and the gtk2 build both start in less than 7 s. :smile:

Nice, that is something to remember.

@rlx009 Fine :slight_smile:
For me the Drive A was listed in ā€œMy Computerā€ and dectivating it from Device Manager was enough.
Ingo had pointed me to the right direction Long time to load Rt on Win 10 64bit - #22 by heckflosse but now that link is dead.

Itā€™s my fault that I didnā€™t reported the solution in time :frowning:

@Morgan_Hardwood although the right solution could be correcting GTK behavior by GTK gurus, until then, an item in RT_Wiki and in Rawtherapee.com/Downloads would help ā€¦

@ilias_giarimis agreed.

@rlx009 you havenā€™t answered whether you tried GIMP or other GtkĀ±using programs. Could you re-enable drive A and test?
Notable software which use Gtk:

• GIMP
  • Inkscape
  • GParted
  • MyPaint
  • Pidgin
  • XChat

I donā€™t know which of those use the GtkFileChooser, so it would be best if you tried several of them.

And another thing. If you edit your ā€œoptionsā€ file, and set verbose=true, then run RawTherapee from the command prompt, can you paste the log here and mark at which point it paused for a long time?

Sorry, I missed your question. I didnā€™t have any of those on my main PC since I would normally use them in Linux and maybe I didnā€™t always have much success in the past when I tried them on Windows ā€“ except for MyPaint that works beautifully on my tablet PCā€™s. Anyway, following your question I loaded Gimp, Indscape and Pidgin on my Win10 PC and here are the results.

By the way the exact wording for the Bios option in my case is ā€œLegacy diskette Aā€ and the options offered are ā€œDisableā€, ā€¦, ā€œ1.44M 3.5inā€.

After setting ā€œLegacy diskette Aā€ to ā€œ1.44M 3.5inā€ in the BIOS,

1. RT takes 4 min to start.
  2. Gimp shows a window right away looking for fonts. Then the window disappears. !6 min later, the main Gimp window didnā€™t even show up.
  3. Inkspace starts in 4 s and is fully operational from this point.
  4. Pidging starts right away and asks me to open an account which I donā€™t have. So the test ends here.

After setting ā€œLegacy diskette Aā€ to ā€œDisabledā€ in the BIOS,

1. RT takes 6s to start.
  2. Gimp shows a window right away. Then the window disappears. Oh!, there is a thin vertical bar on the left end of the screen. After dragging that and resizing I get a normal Gimp that works fine. On the second try the Gimp window opens normally in the middle of the screen (not at the edge).
  3. Inkspace starts in 4 s and is fully operational from this point.
  4. Pidging starts right away and asks me to open an account which I donā€™t have. So the test ends here.

I will have to repeat the test for Gimp with Diskette A enabled before I can conclude.

(Edit) Doing the test once again with Gimp.

After setting ā€œLegacy diskette Aā€ to ā€œ1.44M 3.5inā€ in the BIOS,

1. RT is back to 4 min load time.
  2. Gimp loads in ~6 s. The window is at the right place now in the middle of the screen and operates normally.

The conclusion is that out of those four GTk based programs, only RT is impacted by the ā€œLegacy diskette Aā€ selection in the BIOS.

Now changing PC from my Win10 PC to my tablet PC running Win7. I have RT 32-bit installed (4.1.64) on that PC, and that one doesnā€™t even show a window after close to an hour ( I started it on the slate when doing those tests on my Win10 PC). MyPaint starts quickly on that same PC. Lots of mysteriesā€¦

a) Good!

b) But of course I will never forgive you that you now can start RT faster than I can :cry:

Thatā€™s almost as using Windows95 :astonished:

You shouldnā€™t have lead me to look in the BIOS, I would be still at 4 min slower than you :wink:.

OK! Just upgraded to latest 1234 gtk3 build. RT now starts in 6 s on that old TabletPC :relieved:

1 Like

@rlx009 thank you for the detailed response. One thing I donā€™t get:

It clearly affects GIMP too. The ā€œlooking for fontsā€ splash screen has no GtkFileChooser so it doesnā€™t count, but the main GIMP window didnā€™t show after 6 minutes.

When on googles ā€œgtkfilechooser slowā€ one finds a coal mine of posts and bug reports complaining about that widgetā€™s abysmal speed. Strange that Gtk+ doesnā€™t do anything about it, those posts pertain to both Gtk2 and 3 spanning several years.

The first time I started Gimp on Windows, I didnā€™t see the main Gimp window because it was mostly off-screen on the left. Thatā€™s what I believe. There are icons all over the left part of my screen and the portion of the Gimp window on the screen as I saw it on my second try was a thin vertical line which was quite easy to miss. I saw that line the second time I tried because, at that point, I felt mystified and looked more closely.

It happened to me before on my TabletPC that I started a program and the window opened off-screen. That was the first time I met that issue on Win10.

Thatā€™s right, my experience is that Gimp starts quickly whatever that ā€œLegacy diskette Aā€ setting is set to in the Bios. RT is sensitive to that setting though.

I believe you are talking about delays when opening files from the Gtk file browser. Isnā€™t that a different issue than the slow start problem? I ask since I am new to those problems. I did a quick search on Google and found some people experiencing delays on NFS and Samba. My own experience using Gimp on Windows earlier today is that I found it surprisingly responsive, and I didnā€™t experience any abnormal delay. I didnā€™t try opening a file on the network yet. I will do that the next time I boot my PC. Well I just tried minutes ago to open a network file from RT on the TabletPC but the network locations are not listed within RT.

Weā€™d need to send you a build with debug messages displayed at various stages while loading to be sure. Speaking of which, have you had time to try the ā€œverbose=trueā€ test I mentioned?

My bad. I also missed that one. Here are the results.

First, about the Gimp test. Why the Gimp window was off-screen in the first place? I think I have some clue.

1. This PC is dual-monitor with the main monitor on the right and the left monitor turned off most of the time. So any activity on the left monitor might escape my attention.
  2. That PC initially ran Vista and I likely installed Gimp at least once and then uninstalled Gimp but the config file, which is created after the install was leftover. After the migration to Win10 the Gimp config file was probably still there and the new Gimp install I did yesterday reused that old Gimp config file. So if the last time I used Gimp on Vista, the main Gimp window was on my left monitor, thatā€™s where the new Gimp install would start it.

Back to your question, here is the listing you asked for. That test was done after I set ā€˜Legacy diskette Aā€™ to ā€˜1.44 MB 3.5 inā€™ in the BIOS. I list the output of the RT console. I included some lines of the Mingw console but didnā€™t include the full listing since it is long and uninformative. I will post it if you need it though.

2016-10-10

All times are Greenwich based and rounded to the minute.
My notes are in brackets <>. RT wrote on its own console.

<14:35 On Mingw console>

> (date; rawtherapee.exe 2>&1; date) | tee /d/live/Downloads_Windows/start_rawtherapee.txt
file c:\Program Files\RawTherapeeMaster\.\profiles\Skintones\Skintones - StudioBase 1 TM.pp3...OK
file c:\Program Files\RawTherapeeMaster\.\profiles\Skintones\Skintones - StudioBase 1.pp3...OK

<14:36 On RawTherapee-4.2.1234 console.>

RawTherapee, version 4.2.1234
WARNING: closing this window will close RawTherapee!

< After a couple of minutes.  My notes>

**************** FileCatalog::getFilter *** AFTER STEP 1
filter.showRanked[0] = 1
filter.showRanked[1] = 1
filter.showRanked[2] = 1
filter.showRanked[3] = 1
filter.showRanked[4] = 1
filter.showRanked[5] = 1
filter.showCLabeled[0] = 1
filter.showCLabeled[1] = 1
filter.showCLabeled[2] = 1
filter.showCLabeled[3] = 1
filter.showCLabeled[4] = 1
filter.showCLabeled[5] = 1
filter.showEdited[0] = 1
filter.showEdited[1] = 1
filter.showRecentlySaved[0] = 1
filter.showRecentlySaved[1] = 1

<14:38  RT white screen. My note>

(rawtherapee.exe:360): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to fetch network locations: Error
opening directory 'c:\Program Files\RawTherapeeMaster\network:': No such file or
 directory

opening directory 'c:\Program Files\RawTherapeeMaster\network:': No such file or
 directory

directory

directory

directory

directory

directory

directory

directory

<14:39  RT screen all painted. My note>

**************** FileCatalog::getFilter *** AFTER STEP 1
filter.showRanked[0] = 1
filter.showRanked[1] = 1
filter.showRanked[2] = 1
filter.showRanked[3] = 1
filter.showRanked[4] = 1
filter.showRanked[5] = 1
filter.showCLabeled[0] = 1
filter.showCLabeled[1] = 1
filter.showCLabeled[2] = 1
filter.showCLabeled[3] = 1
filter.showCLabeled[4] = 1
filter.showCLabeled[5] = 1
filter.showEdited[0] = 1
filter.showEdited[1] = 1
filter.showRecentlySaved[0] = 1
filter.showRecentlySaved[1] = 1

<14:50  Crtl-Q Exit RT> 
<14:51 Exit script>

Thanks @rlx009! I edited your post and included code marks to make the log more readable, hope you donā€™t mind.

Youā€™re welcome.