Newbye, need help to reproduce a similar post-production

Hello!

I don’t hesitate do admit that usually I “develop” digital photos in RawTherapee mainly using the Exposure and the Transformation tool tabs, using a subset of available functions.

My brother came to me the other day and showed me how he’d develop a photo I made, but refused to use RawTherapee because he don’t know it, using Lightroom instead (forcing me to (a) restart on Windows and (b) install LR which I don’t own :rage:).

He produced the attached photo.

In particular, he (as far as I remember):

1. reduced the lightness of the yellow channel (LAB regulations?)
  2. reduced the clearliness of the photo to reduce the shadow of the bag
  3. saturated a bit the color lost with the clearliness reduction
  4. augmented the “texture” to regain details on the subject
  5. used some brushed-only region regulations to vamp the yellow at the base of the image
  6. removed some imperfections with an auto-clone-like tool (see the glass ball-like thing at the front of the bag), also reducing the lightness of the reflected lights

I was wondering where I could learn how to:

a) reproduce the 6 steps described above and
b) which ones should I use with a specialized software, like GIMP or Krita, if necessary

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

P.S.
I haven’t found the PP3 relative file of Lightroom, if it produces any…

P.P.S.
As an extra, it would be awesome if RawTherapee got a duster to remove all that dust, too :smiley: possibly making a coffee and a hot chocolate, too :angel:

Raw (NEF)
DSC_1049.NEF (24.3 MB)

Developed in Lightroom (JPEG)

The aggressive use of some tool has resulted in unpleasant artifacts in the palm of the hand.

Exact replica won’t be easy, but I think this comes close enough for most intents and purposes. You would have to use local adjustments to get rid of the shadows. If you view in 100% zoom you’ll see that RawTherapee easily outperforms Lightroom in terms of fine detail preservation.

DSC_1049-1.jpg.out.pp3 (14.8 KB)

Without a good reference for the colours and the hindrance of (at least) 4 different light sources it is rather hard to get a result that reflects anything close to being real.

I did not try to copy/match the colours from the above posted LR image, I took a chance and picked a white colour (or so I think) from something on the desk.

handbag.pp3 (21.0 KB)

Ideally you would fix the lighting on the oblect, if that isn’t an option then the image should be pulled into GIMP/Krita to properly fix the background. RawTherapee can do a reasonable job using the Local Adjustments tab.

Thank you very much for all the replies :slight_smile: this is really an awesome community :heart: - I’ll study the PP3 files to know what you did and study the relative tools on the wiki :slight_smile:.

BTW besides the LR render or yours, I forgot to mention the effect I wanted to achieve :smiley: which is vivid colors 'a’la “United Colors of Benetton” (if you know what I mean).

Again, thank you very much for the support :+1: :top:

I used RT Dev with Local Adjustments. I did not try for perfection, so there is still rom for improvement.

• Started with auto-matched curve - ISO low
  • Lab Adjustments to add lightness, raise yellow luminosity, lower blue luminosity
  • Increase Soft Light
  • Haze removal
  • Noise reduction

** Local Adjustments**

• Reduced the shadows using a whole image spot on the background and used Dynamic Range & Exposure > Contrast attenuator
  • Reduced overexposure of yellow flowers with Dynamic Range & Exposure > Exposure Compensation, Dynamic Range & Exposure > Dynamic range compression, Dehaze and retinex
  • Reduced glare on bead with Dehaze and retinex
  • Reduced some yellow cast on hand with Color & Light
    DSC_1049-1.jpg.out.pp3 (28.4 KB)

ART
Not trying to replicate LR

exposure +1.1 EV then use of local adjustment

• mask for background to increase yellow saturation, correcting hue and suppressing shadows
  • mask for blue to increase saturation and modifying the hue
  • local contrast and texture boost