No Access to C: Drive on RT 5.6 on Windows 10

I’m unable to access the C: drive with RT 5.6 on Windows 10. Wither trying to select the C: drive for save destination or selecting the GIMP installation. Working OK on 5.5

Everytime I select the C: drive I get the following error:

Error when getting information for file “C:\pagefile.sys”:Input/
output error

@Wickster Welcome to the forum!

Looks like an Windows OS error to me. Could you provide some more details?

– How are you saving? With the Save dialog in the Editor or the Queue?
– Does it happen when you click on “Local Disk (C:)” or during the actual save?

This has been reported in the past, but I’m unsure if there was ever a complete fix: Wrong folder selected when rt is started in verbose mode · Issue #4946 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub
@heckflosse?

I don’t have 5.6 installed so I installed the latest dev. I don’t get this problem. How do I enter verbose mode?

Set

Verbose=true

in options file

Thanks for the quick replies. And sorry for my late reply.
This happens everytime I click the C: drive icon inside RT. It doesn’t matter whether I’m just trying to set the location of GIMP/Photoshop in the settings menu or just trying to set a destination folder inside the batch queue tab. It just gives me that error everytime I click on the C: icon inside RT.

I’ll try uninstalling and installing and also try a dev RC build tomorrow and report back here.

Random thought, did you give some sort of administrative or heightened permissions to 5.5 but not to 5.6?

Here’s some screenshots from the settings > GIMP installation select screen and from the Select destination folder in the Queue screen.

I just installed it normally, but I’ll try to set to run in Admin mode also and report back here.

What’s so special about your C:\pagefile.sys that doesn’t affect others? How big is it? What are its permissions?

Maybe related:

2 Likes

Makes sense. It wasn’t a part of the options file, so I wanted to double check. Does case matter BTW?

Thanks again everyone. I think I solved it.
At first I have it run as an Admin and that didn’t really do anything. I also tried installing a development build and I still got the same error.

What worked is that I went to Windows 10 performance settings and moved the Pagefile from the C: drive to the D: drive. After restarting, selecting the C: drive started working again. Maybe it was a corrupted pagefile, but RT was the only one having this error.

Again, thanks so much.

Cool. Just be aware that an update may potentially create a new page file under C: or move the location from D: back to C: I suggest you verify after each Windows update.

I doubt that the page file is corrupted. It is basically used for swap. The issue that @heckflosse linked is probably closer to the real cause.