Not using symbolic links

I’ve been using SiriL with scripts for a while with great success, but since I updated to version 0.99.10.1 for the CR3 support, it insists on using symbolic links. I’m sure this is a great feature but I cannot set my PC to developer mode since I don’t have an administrator account. I don’t mind the extra space needed for the files, but I can’t disable symbolic links in the script, and unmarking the “symbolic link” box in the Conversion tab doesn’t work at all.

So how can I convert my raw files with scripts without using Symbolic Links? Or at least from the Conversion tab?

Thank you for your help!

Hi, you updated from which version, 0.9.12? The symbolic links are not supposed to be mandatory, but we seldom test without them indeed. What’s the problem, does it stop, fail, produce errors? I may have forgotten something…

Hi! Yes, I updated from 0.9.12.

When using “convertraw dark” in a script, I get an error “You should enable the Developer Mode in order to create symbolic links instead of simply copying files”.

When converting from the Conversion tab, I get the same message whether I select “Symbolic link” or not.

This is just a warning. Don’t focus on it.

It seems that you are right… I tested on another computer on which I am admin and it doesn’t work either, without this warning message. I wrongfully associated the warning with the failure.

Now this is the Log output when trying to convert 6 CR3 files from my R6:

log: Setting CWD (Current Working Directory) to ‘F:\temp\test\darks’
log: Running command: convert
1630477888: running command convert
log: Convert: processing 6 FITS files…
Error in libraw Corrupted data or unexpected EOF
log: Conversion aborted, 0 file(s) created for 6 input file(s) (0 image(s) converted, 6 failed)

Okay I think I found the issue. I was using a Compressed C-RAW format, which I guess SiriL can’t decode. I tried putting 3 more images (full RAW this time), in the same darks folder, and those 3 were correctly converted (but the 6 CRAW not).

So my conclusion is that SiriL doesn’t support CRAW (yet?). But in hindsight it might have been a stupid idea to use a lossy compression file for astrophotography…

Thanks for your help, and clear skies!

CRAW is not dedicated for astrophotography. So yes, siril won’t try to decode these files.

1 Like