Nothing happens when trying to open an image

Not sure if this is relevant, but there was a time that some clipboard/screen recorder softwares were interfering with GIMP operations by capturing clicks and interactions. Are you running any sort of screen capture utilities, clipboard extensions, or any other processes in the background?

Not that they may not show up in the background process toolbar in Win10 unless you tell them to.
Perhaps try stopping all background process that aren’t essential and see what happens?

I never use an app such as you suggest. I just don’t have need of one!

@mpeman62
Locate a folder with the windows file explorer where you have raw photos and on that folder, right-click the mouse: Browse with RawTherapee
Does RT work now?

Edit: other than onedrive folder…

1 Like

It does open RT, but none of the controls will work.

If you hold down the Alt key and tap the Tab key do you see anything open other than what should be open?

When I do this I get a small image of the RT screen. Right next to it is a small version of this web screen.

I’m still thinking about the reason for this behaviour… Damn.

Is it the first time you install RT? or RT 5.6 already worked well for you?

It occurs to me that you temporarily disable the dedicated graphics card:

Close RT and save all your open jobs.
Right click on windows start button-> Click on ‘Device Manager’ → Expand ‘Display adapters’
Do you have 2 cards: Intel and Radeon? or only RADEON?

Continue only if you have 2: (integrated and dedicated). If you only have 1, leave the test:
right click on RADEON-> Disable. Do not close this “device manager” window.

Run RT and test if it works or not.

Close RT
Go back to Device Manager and Enable RADEON.
Restart your pc. ← Important!!

1 Like

I only have one Radeon card. 5.6 would not work either.

@mpeman62 record a screencast of your whole screen (don’t crop anything) as you do the following:

1. Open RawTherapee
  2. Double-click on an image in RawTherapee’s File Browser.
  3. If the interface seems frozen, press Alt+Tab once.
  4. Upload the video for us.

To record a screencast in Windows, use ShareX:

2 Likes

Thanks, there’s nothing else with a visible UI running then, hmmm.
Do you use anything to protect files and folders from ransomware? e.g. Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access

I wonder if that or your Antivirus could be silently preventing access to your photos causing RT to just sit there.

I do use McAfee as my AV. Buth the same pattern occurred under Sopohs