Off-topic call for help: assist development of free digital art tools by providing PSD or other source files

Good evening.

Over the past few months, I have been working with some of the developers of free art tools such as Krita and Gimp/Glimpse to develop improvements for the ORA graphics interchange format (https://www.openraster.org/). It is like PSD format, but not proprietary. Over the course of my research so far, I have found several examples where PSD provides features which are not available in ORA. In order to propose solutions to these issues and continue to make great tools available for free, I will be hosting a panel in this years Libre Graphics Meeting (libregraphicsmeeting.org) to push for changes. (Also will likely be doing a lot of the coding myself ^.^)

My plea to any digital artist who reads this: If you have any old PSD (or procreate, CSP, xcf, whatever) digital art source files that you would be able to donate prior to the meeting (May 2020), especially those which uses a lot of advanced features like multiple clip or blending layers, compositing modes, etc, please let me know! I would really like to make sure that all of my proposals at LGM can address any shortcomings of the current free standards so that we can make the maximum possible progress this year!

Two of the major issues I want to address currently:

-Lack of vector / text capability

-No support for clipping layer combined with another mode, like add / multiply (which many artists use for things like highlights and shadows)

Please let me know if you are able to help and have an awesome day!

4 Likes

Now, we’re getting somewhere here. This is a much bigger source of conversation pertaining to ora. Most of the focus is about Krita file format and focus is going to be placed into Affinity, Photoshop, and Krita solely because they do support a lot more layer types and features as in group of features than GIMP can.

@Carmelo_DrRaw Does this interest you one bit? Considering Photoflow has the layer flexibility on par with Krita, this could interest you, but I’m not sure.