On generating previews

Hi all.
I was wondering if it is normal that every time I launch darktable and I access any given folder (previously imported of course) it seems as it has to generate the previews again. I mean, I have to wait before the whole content of that given folder is completely visible and accesible on darktable, light module. As I scroll down with the mouse within a folder, the grey square turn into the image, once the preview is ready. I even hear my external hard disk working crazy when generating previews.
But I guess this should not happened.
Thanks as always.

Moved to darktable forum.

1 Like

I don’t think it should happen, but when you do a large import, you have to wait for the thumbs to be generated. Thumbs are stored in the application cache, so if you’ve deleted that recently, it may explain the regeneration.

1 Like

I understand when you import. But, as stated, the images I am talking about have already been imported, some folders long ago. Yet, every time I want to access them I have to wait for the previews to be generated.
Within the darktable folder I cannot see any cache file. I found the supposed file, cache.db, in another folder. But it has 0 KB of size!
Shall I move it within the darktable master folder?
Thanks

Ok I copied those file into the darktable folder, but nothing change.
The cache.db file has the creation date as of when I installed darktable. But it has never grown up in size ever since. Somehow, I guess previews are not being stored anywhere, and not generated.
I have to fiscally scroll the mouse over the section with grey square in order to let the images appear, almost one by one.
I cannot imagine doing this with a library of 15.000 images or more.
Any guess?
Thanks

You should read the manual page on caches, there is a lot of good information on the page: https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/thumbnails.html

1 Like

excellent recommendation!
:smile: