Release of G'MIC 2.9

I’ve started implementing an extension to the command display2d (aka d2d) so that when a volumetric input image is selected, each slice is displayed on different display windows, with synchronized moves. Up to 10 images can be compared simultaneously.
This is still experimental and prone to improvements, but this is a first trial.
You can test it like this:

$ gmic update
$ gmic sp lena,leno +b. 5 a z d2d

For the moment, you can only interact with the ‘first’ window. I’ll try to improve that in the future.

THANKS a lot indeed!

Tried your same command after updating and it works great.
IMHO, for my personal needs, it is already a great improvement since I can already zoom and pan.

Now my final question…
How can I open just 2 single images?
What am I supposed to type ?
I have tried to modify your command but I am unable to visualize only my 2 images…

For two ima[quote=“Silvio_Grosso, post:120, topic:16755”]
Now my final question…
How can I open just 2 single images?
What am I supposed to type ?
I have tried to modify your command but I am unable to visualize only my 2 images…
[/quote]

For two images:

$ gmic image1.jpg image2.jpg a z d2d

Thanks a lot indeed.
You made my day!

It works extremely well.

1 Like

@David_Tschumperle I think I know how the Tree filter it can be improved. If you can move the root to the center, and enable HSV mapping, it’ll be better than PDN Dryad plugin for most purpose. Maybe enable using image as gradient map to improve it even further? Also, maybe perhaps enable consistent different variable everywhere as a option as in same angle.

As you know, I appreciate any improvement to display. :slight_smile: One thing that would make it nicer is if this could happen in one window as opposed to two.

@Silvio_Grosso I have had a little solution but I haven’t been feeling well so I haven’t uploaded it for you to try yet. Of course, it is a workaround: anything David comes up with will be the better option.

1 Like

I really prefer multiple synchronized windows in this case: if you have multiple monitors, then you can easily put one window on a screen, the second on another screen and have maximal size for comparisons. And if you have three or more images to compare together, having multiple windows allows more easily to arrange the layout.

@Silvio_Grosso, I’ve made some progress on the command, so now you should be able to navigate the same way in all display windows (just do a $ gmic update to get the latest version of the d2d command).

I’ll work a bit on this this afternoon. It looks almost good for me.

I think I’m done with the “multi-view” extension of the d2d command.
Any feedback is welcome, before I release 2.9.0. It’s scheduled to happen in the next few days.

Just checked the latest version. It generates two windows side by side (with a small gap) at the top left of the screen. This makes their starting location predictable. However, on win10, the title bars are above the screen. (Resizing each window separately does pop back in the title bar, but I have to do one by one. Using win key combos to resize a window makes them too large, which again may cause positioning problem, but I suppose I shouldn’t do it in the first place.) Another issue is resizing secondary windows doesn’t respect aspect ratio, while changing the primary does.

Lastly, using the command this way seems to whirl up my laptop’s fans. As you know it is old and low specced, so maybe it is just that…

This is not something I can control unfortunately.

For the window resizing issue, I understand why it happens, and at the same time, I’m a bit afraid I won’t be able to fix this, as I’m close to the limitations of what can be done in terms of window management with G’MIC.

Also, I’ve just pushed some optimizations, should be ready in one hour or so.

Hello @David_Tschumperle

Just updated G’MIC 2.9 (CLI): 20:50 p.m

As pointed out by Afre right now, on my Windows 10 setup (Asus notebook 13,3 inch monitor) I can no longer resize the 2 frames of the 2 images (their size is: 4256 X 2832 px).
Yesterday this problem was not present…
At home, I have got this Asus with this very small monitor (which is not the best for photograpy, I know…).

In short after having typed the command:
gmic.exe 1_basso.JPG 2_alto.JPG a z d2d
The 2 images are displayed side by side but their upper border is not longer “draggable”.

In short, I can not grab their borders any longer now…

BTW this hardware is good:
Intel I7 CPU with 8 gb of Ram and 128 gb SSD.
This command is very fast as relates to the zoom-in and pan into the 2 jpeg images

See underneath screenshot as regards this problem:

Well that is unexpected…
Seems to be a Windows-specific problem. My test here with a 4276x2700 image works as expected:

$ gmic sunset-1046475.jpg +b 10 dp

(forgot to say about it, but dp, a.k.a display_parallel will now use the new d2d extension when multiple images with same size are selected).

I got this, on my Ubuntu (running lxde):

I don’t know what is going on here, and to be honest, it will be very hard for me to debug this on Windows. I have only Windows in a VM at work, and cannot easily do debugging on it right now from home.

Hello David,

Tested on a different computer (and just updated the filters as well):
MSI Notebook with 15,6 inch as regards its monitor.

Even with this bigger monitor I can no longer drag the border of the 2 images.
They are no longer available to grab them with the mouse.

Yesterday this problem was not present on Windows.
I have done the tests with the same 2 images to make sure…
As it is right now this feature is no longer working on Windows 10 :frowning:

As a positive note, this MSI notebook has:
16 gb of Ram and an Intel I7 CPU with 6 cores.
Consequently this new option is even faster…

Silvio, I want to understand. Just in case, what:

$ gmic e "{*,u,v}"

displays for you ? It should be the resolution of your screen.

Both these computers are full-hd.
Here is the output:
gmic]-0./ 1920,1080

This second MSI computer is not mine but I can test G’MIC right now.

Here its specs:

MSI PRESTIGE 15 A10SC-074IT

Intel® Core™ I7-10710U | 1,1 GHz - 12 MB L3
SSD: 512 GB
RAM: 16 GB -
Display: 15,6’’ LCD Full HD
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Max-Q, 4 GB

Windows 10 Home

On my macbook pro with second Monitor 3600,1260, I get only one window with large chessboard stripe left and right and some difficult to understand interaction!. Possibly also a problem of X11 (XQuartz)

The second window is hidden, a display problem. Still size is maximum enlarged!

After several ^c I get the two windows…

OK, I’ve tried a workaround. Not a bugfix, but at least something to make it usable (as yesterday).
Could you try @Silvio_Grosso and @KaRo a $ gmic update and another try, to see if that makes things better ?

Yes at least on my Mac, improvement. Images in original size (lena,leno)

Resizing works even with ^Z. Only switching back with second ^Z produces this

Nope.
Just updated rigth now (21:53 pm).
Windows 10 as usual (Monitor FULL HD)

Both images are displayed but it is no longer possible to grab their upper border to drag it.
In short, I can not resize them…

Their are displayed on the upper part of my monitor (this is why their border is not available)

Hum, another trial :

$ gmic https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dtschump/gmic/a603e1c57141639e15edc300ab840a1631d1cf8a/src/gmic_stdlib.gmic sp landscape,4096 +b 10 dp