One from yesterday's early morning stroll.

My edit with darktable (which I barely used until now)

morning.walk.01.rw2.xmp (22,1 KB)

2 Likes

I had my doubts, but I was wondering if someone would notice the Grey Heron :smile:

Love the B&W btw. Working on one myself atm.

1 Like

And my B&W rendition:

darktable: RAW conversion and baseline edit
GIMP: monochrome and final edits.

BTW: Bought myself a tablet to use with, mainly, GIMP. Man I love that thing! Takes a bit getting used to, having 30+ years mouse habits doesn’t help in that regard, but editing is much smoother and precise. Didn’t expect to be this enthusiastic after such a short time.

3 Likes

yet another pictorial look :joy:

2 Likes

Very nice. Where is the location of this shot?

This was shot along the Delftsche Vliet (a waterway) on the edge of the Elsenburgerbos (small forest), between Delft and Rijswijk. And that would be in the Netherlands.

1 Like

Yeah, a tablet is primordial for photo editing and any graphics work. Highly recommended, even the least expensive ones do their job. And it helps a lot to avoid that nasty repetitive strain injury (rsi).

Thanks for the information. Nice contrasts. I shared it to a friend of mine on Facebook who is from the Netherlands.

I’m glad this got bumped, I missed it the first time around.

morning.walk.01.rw2.xmp (59.0 KB)

1 Like

That is an incredible capture.

Thanks.

Landscape photography is cheating a bit, isn’t it. Nature is the one creating the most beautiful scenes and all we photographers need to do is see and capture it…

1 Like

Yup, definitely felt like nature was doing my homework for me when I was taking pictures of my great uncle’s 35 degree inclined hillside full of magnolia trees in central Oregon, U.S., in his rural property.

Hi,
nice shot.
Here’s a fast try with DT.

marco

morning.walk.01.rw2.xmp (13.5 KB)

1 Like

Here is my take on this beautiful photo using RT 5.8 I did not want to over lift the shadows I wanted it to still feel like the beautiful sunrise this is. Also did a slight color grade with RGB curves to complement the suns light while keeping the image cool feeling. Only sharpening used was a adjusted capture sharpening. (Could use a bit of dodge and burn but did not want to get too carried away)

morning.walk.jpg.out.pp3 (12.0 KB)

3 Likes

@blj : That’s a very nice edit!

I’ve been trying out RawTherapee as of late and although much of the concepts between darktable and RawTherapee are the same, they are very different in usage.

You just provided me with a very nice sidecar to analyze and learn from: Thanks!

@Jade_NL Glad I could help and glad you like the edit. I am like the opposite I have become rather good at understanding RT but I struggle a lot with dt. Both tools are indeed very good but I fell in love with the way RT works and spent a lot of time understanding it so naturally I would be better with it then dt. My 3 favorite features are the capture sharpening, wavlet contrast, and the fact that it is a browser without a library database. :smiley:

Decided to try a darktable edit as well. I have been trying to learn dt still not very good at it but has its own advantages. I went a bit more extreme on this one because I got into experimentation mode lol. Clouds got a little muddy might have pushed that a little too hard :joy:

morning.walk.01.rw2.xmp (10.9 KB)