OpenGL Image Viewer

Using Windows 7
I just have installed the latest version digiKam.
I got to nosing around in the View menu and clicked “OpenGL Image Viewer” : my entire screen opened with the single image that had been in thumbnails view.
I had absolutely no idea where I was, nor of what benefit it was to me for being there.
I started trying to figure a way back out of there; I had no visible taskbar and nothing I did seemed to be getting me out of there.
I really don’t know what I did, but I got a white box with some options, none of which were “get me back to normal”
I was about to resort to unplugging the machine when the taskbar appeared; at that point, I should have took the opportunity to open Task Manager and kill digiKam; instead, I decided I would mouse over the digiKam thumbnail and X away the problem windows.
Instead, I found myself locked into that black screen again.
I finally managed to get myself extricated from there and back onto familiar ground.

Just what is OpenGL Image Viewer and what are it’s benefits ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

Not sure. I think it is just a slideshow tool. Let’s say you have friends or family visiting and would like to show some pictures. This tool would be just the right one for this scenario.

Maybe "OpenGL Image Viewe"r is an incorrect translation?

Anyways hitting the “Esc” key should have got you out of there.

That is a situation I need to get serious about fixing; for the last few years, my Esc key does not work.
Way back when I first tried to find a solution, the common consensus was that Photoshop Elements “takes over” the Esc key; and, at that time, there was no fix other than reinstalling Windows and not using Elements.
I need to revisit the situation as someone may by now have figured out a fix.

There are a few keyboard shortcuts that are very useful in situations like this. Win-X will bring up a menu that allows you to return to the desktop, or to bring up the task manager. Ctrl-alt-del will also let you start the task manager. These should work regardless of what applications are running, and cannot be “taken over” like the Esc key can.

THANKS ! That will be handy to know.
I did a bit of searching to see if I could fix my Esc and still get the same answers I did years ago “There is a bug in Photoshop and Elements that disables the ESC for any other program”
One would think a bug like that would be on the priority list to get fixed; but, instead of offering bug-fixes, Adobe just wants to sell you the latest version.

I didn’t know that a program can take over a key globally in your system…
Anyways, if Adobe Elements is important to you and there is no fix you may try changing the shortcut in digikam (settings - configure shortcuts).
See if reassigning of this shortcut helps:

Thanks.
I got to messing around with OpenGL Image Viewer; and, although I have no idea what I am doing, I find it to be a very clear image viewer.
It hints that it can do all sorts of tricks, but I have no idea how to get it to do any of them.
I did discover something very useful = the “f” key will toggle it back and forth from a tiny window to entirely covering the whole screen.
When you press “f” and it becomes a little window, you can just click the red X and close it same as any normal window.

On another note: my browser is Pale Moon — when I want to post a reply, no amount of clicking in the reply box will yield a typing cursor so that I can type.
I have stumbled on a work-around = I click the big “B” (bold) and then “cancel”; it asks me if I am certain I want to cancel; I click No and when that box disappears, I now have my cursor and can continue to type my message.

On EDIT: This must be a Pale Moon thing, as I switched over to Chrome and everything works as it should.