Ordered a Yi M1

I’m pretty stoked or I’m a masochist (maybe both?) but I ordered the Yi M1 mirrorless camera. The price dropped to $350 and I had $100 in Amazon points.

Unlike @Isaac, I couldn’t manage to get a decent picture out of my Nexus 5x, so this is a carry-everywhere snapshot camera. I’m sure the Yi M1 will be more than up to the task of replacing my cellphone camera. I plan to slap a pancake lens on it so it’ll be quite portable!

It ships today and arrives next week, so I should have some sample RAW files for everyone to play with.

3 Likes

Nice! Isn’t that a m4/3 sensor?

Yes, M4/3. And has the MFT lens mount, so it’ll take the Olympus/Panasonic MFT lenses.

I was looking at the Sony A5000/6000 as well, but their lenses are pricey and their mount type is their own.

Sadly, the Nikon M43 also have their own lens mount which is not the same as my D750, or I’d have bought the Nikon one.

Nice! I will look forward to seeing the shots you get out of it. My “real” camera is also a M4/3, so it will be fun to talk lenses, etc. I just got the Olympus 9mm “body cap” fisheye as a super compact pancake lens for ultralight, ultra wide shots. Cheap too. Will be playing around with it, and figuring out how to “de-fish” it in DT or RT. My other pancake is the Olympus 14-42mm “ez” f3.5-5.6. It gets really small, and has pretty good autofocus and decent sharpness. Overall a fun pancake for travel and daily carry, if not the “best” optically. Enjoy the Yi M1 and please report back with pictures when you get it!

Yes, I saw the body cap fisheye, and I’m interested I’m that as well, but want to check the performance of the body before I put any more money into it! I’m open to any MFT lens recommendations, I was looking at the Olympus 19mm pancake.

I will certainly post pictures when it arrives.

Another option is to get a suitable adapter and use old manual lenses.
This is my current fancy and I have got M42 mount Carl Zeiss Jena MC pancolar 50mm f1.8 lens (44$) and ordered SMC Takumar 105mm f2.8 (52$) on eBay.
Putting the Zeiss Jena on Canon 6D, here are some of the early shots:

Definitely worth a thought. Mirrorless cameras are great for this combination.

1 Like

+1 for older lenses.
I use a pentacon 135mm 2.8 made in DDR and a Tokina 55mm 1.4.
Both are simply monsters.
Tokina is really sharp, while Pentacon has one of the best bokeh ever (15 blades)

The only problem with older lenses is it makes the camera large, I want to carry this everywhere.

I have a D750 that I use the large lenses with :wink:

To my knowledge Olympus doesn’t have a 19mm, maybe you meant the oly 17mm f2.8, 34mm equiv FL.
If don’t mind or you prefer a bit tigher and a bit more light ( well actually a full and a half stops) the pana 20mm f1.7 - first version - sells about same price, it’s the same size (pancake too) and it’s a very very nice little lens. Also no hood included. Sharp wide open and till ~3.2/3.5 circular bokeh ,-)

I agree with you, check if the new guy deserves a pair of nice shoes or just sandals

PD
If you need stabilization (i.e. video) and/or wider/more range, the pana 14-45 it’s not compact and Oslo not fast 3.5-5.6, but about same price and a good all arounder.
On the manual side if the camera’s good you can fit a nikkor (af) or an zuiko 24mm, if not so with a cheap minolta MD 24mm the sensor won’t get dust :stuck_out_tongue:
And if goal number 1 is being cool - no matter what weight or price tag - and for hypsters to look at you with reverence, you go with the Minolta 21mm f/2.8 MC Rokkor-X and by all means the square (cinema) hood

You’re right, it is 17mm.

I’ve actually got the old 17mm/f2.8 that shipped as a kit lens with my very first gen E-P1 (well, still have the E-P1 as well that it’s sitting on).

I’m happy to send it over to you if you wanted to play.

I will probably have to take you up on that, thank you!

1 Like

Sure! Someone should get to play with it a bit. :slight_smile: just PM your mailing info and I’ll drop it in the mail for you.

1 Like

You may already know this, but right now B&H website is giving 200$ discount on Olympus ED 14-42 f3.5-5.6 lens. It now costs only 99$. I saw it here

1 Like

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Looks like a ton of MFT lenses are on sale now!

Waiting for the test shots! Some sensor tests would be appreciated!

Just arrived last night, will be testing today

I’ve been trying to get a few torrents to work; can someone try and download these samples?

This is the magnet link.

Was waiting for your sample pictures! But the link you have included is not clickable. How to open the magnet link?
I tried copy/paste in a browser as well as utorrent client and it did not work.

The forum seems to not like magnet links. Here is the torrent.