Overview articles I wish would exist

Reading around this forum the last couple of months made me realise, that the people around here are extremely knowledgeable about image processing and the technical issues connencted to that. Based on that what I would really like to see would be some overview articles about some basic issues so that the hobby photographer like myself could learn from these.

Now I understand that I could read through some publications. I am lucky as I am a scientist and have, via the university, access to a broad publication catalog. But I’m not from the field so research would take forever as I don’t even know where to start looking. Things get even harder for the hobby photographer with no scientific background and no acces to publications.

So again some overview articles over basic issues would be awesome!
What themes could be explained?
Just some suggestions:

• Denoising
  • Demosaicing
  • Sharpening
  • Saturation / Desaturation
    These are all basic processes which will be used in almost every picture.

The articles should be understandable by most people but should go deeper than "… this is my favourite sharpening algorythm because it’s cool!..
Let’s take sharpening as an example. It would be interesting to list different methods of sharpening used by the common programms, explain the differences, if possible without getting toooo technical, and the advantages/disadvantages of a specific algorythm for different situations.

Now this is just an idea, and I know it would be a lot of work. But maybe as a community effort this could lead to some interesting results.

What do you think?

4 Likes

Building a set of reference articles would be great. Either here in the forum or as articles/blog posts on the main site.

Yes, it has always been my intention to get a good reference up and running for the community in general. I was thinking of trying to cover the gamut eventurally (pun intended) from basic photographic skills/knowledge, through more advanced techniques. In particular common questions we all seem to have (as you’ve mentioned) around things like sharpening, demosaicing, denoise, color grading, etc.

In particular I’m heavily influenced by memories of using sites like Cambridge in Colour and The Luminous Landscape years ago.

So yes, I absolutely agree that these articles would be awesome. I’m wondering if we should consider a new section on the main website for them? Something instead of “articles” possibly? I guess we should worry first about actually creating content and how we categorize it later. :slight_smile:

I’m here to edit! But writing those is above my paygrade.