Photo importer for Windows

I’m looking for a program to import photos from my SD card into specific folders similar to what Lightroom does in Windows 10. I know of the native app but it has some quirks (such as automatic folder making) that leaves much to be desired.

Right now I’m just copying and pasting into folders. What does everyone else use?

Thanks.

I use exiftool to rename and copy files. It works on windows, and is nice since you can just drag and drop your files on the the exiftool.exe program.

Does digiKam for windows import and rename files? It probably does! Worth looking into. As an aside (because not relevant to your use case), I have no idea if they use libgphoto2 on windows, or a windows API, or do not support downloading from cameras.

Of course there are many proprietary solutions too, but no need to mention those here :wink:

Thanks for reminding me! I totally forgot about ExifTool. I used it a long time ago before I made a switch to LR and it fell unused since it mirrored functions. I’ll definitely download it and try it again.

Yeah I saw that DigiKam can do import but part of me wants to make a nice streamlined LR/PS alternative and not have much overlap between programs. I’m using DarkTable with GIMP right now and part of my will cringe if I have another program which overlaps with DT (I know, weird…). Thanks for the suggestion though!

Of course if you want to you can always run Rapid Photo Downloader in a Linux distro of your choosing in VirtualBox. A lot slower than native Linux, but works well enough for most things except mobile phones (where it works badly because Windows and VirtualBox can’t decide between them who controls the device when it’s been unlocked).

Hmm, I didn’t know that there was an option to run Linux on a Windows 10 computer. I do like everything I see with Rapid Photo Downloader and was hoping for a Windows version in the future. I’ll look into it. Thanks!

Will RPD run as a command line in terminal ? It is possible to have Ubuntu, openSUSE and other Linux subsystems on Windows 10

digiKam does import photos and videos but I think that functionality is limited on Windows. I am pretty sure they use libgphoto2.

No.

libgphoto2 on windows would be quite an achievement, should they have got it up and running.

I’m almost wondering now if we could get this (RPD) working on the linux subsystem for windows? Man I wish I had more time to play…

@patdavid I haven’t explored the subsystem enough but I couldn’t use a GUI-based app last time I tried. :frowning:

Last I checked (which was many months ago) libgphoto2 did not work on the Linux subsystem for Windows 10.

If Rapid Photo Downloader were ported to Windows 10, instead of libgphoto2 it would probably use the new media import API (assuming that API has Python binding). Someone who knows what he’s talking about discusses it here: Re: Linux: Rapid Photo Downloader faster than Windows 10?: PC Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It would also have to use Windows APIs for reacting to media insertion, ejection, etc.

Rapid Photo Downloader depends very much on ZeroMQ. I’m not sure how reliable ZeroMQ is on Windows. Maybe it’s fine because Jupyter uses it, and Jupyter is wildly popular among science researchers. But it wouldn’t surprise me if the most reliable platform for ZeroMQ is Linux.

On the positive side, Python and Qt are very well supported on Windows, so that part of the port would be super easy.

I have not looked any further due to time constraints and the fact that I the last time I coded in Windows was the 90s :grinning:

1 Like

What about Xnview? It has an import function that renames and puts into folders. Works well on Linux and Windows.

I’ll take a look; I haven’t heard of it before but it does seem to fit what I need.

I would prefer digiKam over Xnview IMHO. Please don’t forget that digiKam is a standalone application since version 5. You don’t have to install the whole KDE subsystem in order to make it work on Windows like the version 4.12 was. Also darktable will recognize tags and ratings applied to images in digiKam and vice versa.

Vobiko does what you want: http://www.sommerfeld-net.de/vobiko.html

Oh cool I’ll try that one out as well.

I forgot about the compatibility between digiKam and DT; it might make it much more enticing. But I’ve read somewhere of problems with digiKam in regards to recognizing changes to the sidecar files after DT changes something. I guess I’ll try it out and see. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Windows version of digiKam is still missing some features, especially the “Open with” module. It also can’t be set to write IPTC metadata in UTF-8.

So Xnview can be a temporary solution, when such quite basic features are needed.