Photo with color halo or bleeding - can it be remedied in RAW editing

Hi - I find that my images (RAW - DNG) from a mobile phone suffers from what you could call a colour bleed or kind of halo of brighter colours. Here is a screenshot cut example using leaves. Lots of greens and shades. Is that a sensor limitation (small sensor - low light), a lens limitation or a movement effect from not using a tripod (or if using a tripod but in the wild with wind movements etc.)? Which ever it is can it be remedied after the act using the RAW/DNG file in Rawtherapee or Darktable (Perhaps even Gimp if using the accompanying Jpeg) .

Example here is from the DNG opened in RT and the Jpeg in the default viewer

DNG in RT

Jpeg

This looks like a lens issue that is (unfortunately) nearly impossible to correct.

2 Likes

Fairly obviously: check that your lens is clean.

2 Likes

I’m curious what the shutter speed was. My guess is that since this blur is at the tip of the leaf, not the stem end, it was caused by the wind you mentioned. :confused:

The lens should ok but a good suggestion. The exif shows ISO 50 f1. 6 1/180 sec - so not fast but not slow either. But still. I guess it’s just a dud - it seems to happen a lot which is why I wondered if it is a sensor issue (always blame the equipment) but it could be a less than pristine lens as it is a mobile phone.
Thanks…

It’s out of focus there.

There’s nothing you can do about that.

Since the photo was taken with a cell phone, this could be an AI artifact.

Or a stacking artifact.

1 Like

If you actually look at Google’s imaging pipelines, the only places where neural networks actually come into play are:

1. Improved AWB (part of the Night Sight pipeline)
  2. Enhanced depth estimation beyond what comes out of the OSPDAF system and lens discrepancy. (Using the telephoto lens to get depth data for the central region of the wideangle or vice versa)

That really looks like a stacking artifact to me.

1 Like