Photoflow with Digikam

I meant @phweyland, as his screen capture shows the mime type text.

I’m the source of confusion. I’ve just set the Digikam setting for pfi file. Then choosing Photoflow to open the pfi file I have ticked “remember…”. I haven’t made anything about mime type on the system side yet.

EDIT: Completing the process.I had already associated pfi file with PhotoFlow (Open with …). But even applying the photoflow.xml method, Digikam still sees the pfi as a text file. BTW after running update-mime-database the photoflow.xml disappears…

Sorry, I included the wrong path (weirdly, because I discovered the same problem myself before I posted…). You need to put photoflow.xml into “mime/packages/”.

I added the MIME file in the stable branch, now I have to see how to properly add it in the installation process…

Thanks!

Looks better ! And Digikam remembers it can open the pfi file with Photoflow now.
The pfi icon is not bad, but I would prefer the output image itself, if Carmelo can implement the sidecart effect :slight_smile:

1 Like

Whatup guys? Would anybody be kind enough to point out how to go about this on OSX 10.11.6 crapikan?

I’ve got Digikam (beta) installed and running and the latest and greatest Photoflow (27-05). I’ve added the .pfi myme on DK’s preferences, on OSX’s system pfis are assigned to be opened with PF by deffault. Following rasimo’s advice I’ve tried to shovel the xml into few dark places… the maschine did not complain, actually did nuthin’. Also - and following the drowned by good but completelly inept inttentions’ newage philosophy - added pfis as sidecar in DK’s preferences. Pfis still doesn’t show on DonnaKaran :dromedary_camel:

I can’t help you with OSX specific problems, as I don’t use it at all.
However I am unsure whether there is a misconception about digiKam’s sidecar formats: Additional sidecars are never displayed in digiKam. They are invisibly “joined” with a “real” image file. As pfi’s aren’t really sidecars, you should probably add them as an additional image format - then they should be displayed in digiKam.

1 Like

You’re absoLUT right @rasimo , I had only to remove the dot from myme’s pfi… pssss I pitty the worms that’ll eat my brain. Now the pfi shows its face on DK. THANKS :hatching_chick:, that’s 1 more step into the woman in the dunes. Now I just need Photoflow to open the file directly with the open with shortcut (ctrl+F4) instead of displaying the generic open dialog with the latest used directory; is it possible @Carmelo_DrRaw ? :penguin:

REF
the woman in the dunes is how I see this unholly relation between digikam & photoflow,
a couple’s union to be able to breed monsters {poing echo} hoh huo ho :japanese_ogre:

1 Like

I have not (yet) tested the digikam/photoflow combination, but with the latest photoflow version (20170527) you do not even need to ask Digikam to open .pfi files…

Suppose you open an img.nef RAW file, you do some edits and you save them as img.pfi.

Next time you will open img.nef, for example from the Digikam interface, photoflow will detect the presence of the img.pfi “sidecar” and will open it instead of the RAW image…

Does this sound reasonable for you?

P.S: let’s hope I’ll get photoflow out of the sand trap… :wink:

1 Like

I have not (yet) tested the digikam/photoflow combination, but with the latest photoflow version (20170527) you do not even need to ask Digikam to open .pfi files…

Suppose you open an img.nef RAW file, you do some edits and you save them as img.pfi.

Next time you will open img.nef, for example from the Digikam interface, photoflow will detect the presence of the img.pfi “sidecar” and will open it instead of the RAW image…

Does this sound reasonable for you?

Hey @Carmelo_DrRaw I’m not a “reasonable” man by any measure :stuck_out_tongue:
These I managed to assimilate (osmosis process):

A - Now PF can save sidecars (pfi)
B - We can launch directly the pfis
C - Pfis are shown in (e.g.) DigiKam
D - We’re able to launch directly from DK

The only thing not working is that D part (have also to do with B). When in DigiKam and the pfi’s triggered with the open with deffault application, Photoflow launches with its “generic” open dialog pointing to the last used folder. Expected behaviour should be directly opening the pfi. The problem seems on PF side, as when I doubleclick a pfi in the finder, it behaves is exactly as mentioned before.

P.S: let’s hope I’ll get photoflow out of the sand trap… :wink:

I like that you assumed PF as the male/victim… je je je… but we need babies :pig2: :poodle::dog::rat:
Cheers and THANK YOU :four_leaf_clover:

Not a good gif; how PF behaves when directly triggering a pfi, both from finder and DK =)

This probably means that digikam does not pass the pfi file name to photoflow when it launches it… I need to test that myself to see what happens.

photoflow-20170527 on windows10 : cannot open any file (nef or pfi) except jpg, even the one you sent to me.

Not this issue with photoflow-20170521.

I’ll investigate… please use the 20170521 version for the moment…

OK, no problem. I’ve the same issue on linux with the today build: apt-get install photoflow-git.

That’s really strange… I do not see any problems on my OSX environment, in which I do most of the development… I’ll be able to run some tests on a Linux machine in a few hours, meanwhile you could maybe send me the terminal output you get on Linux when trying to open a .NEF file?

Thanks!

I hope that helps !
Ubuntu with pfi.txt (61.2 KB)
Ubuntu without pfi.txt (32.4 KB)

Do you have a default.pfp file in your $HOME/.photoflow/presets/ folder?

I’m asking because in both log files, when opening a RAW file I see additional layers being loaded (crop, curves…). Or did you open a .pfi file in both cases?

Thanks!

Edit: I tested with one of my .NEF files on an Ubuntu 16.04 system, and the image was opened without problems…

Yes, I have. I’ve forgotten this. Do you want me to replay after removing the default.pfp ?

Edit: Sorry, in fact I don’t have:

I’ve updated again photoflow-git (1:2.6+git20170530-966~ubuntu16.10.1)
and it works nicely now. Sorry for stress :frowning:

When I open the NEF, I get the question do you want to open the pfi.
But I get the same message when I want to open the pfi directly :

I will do more tests with Digikam.

Some play with Digikam. Having these files:

I see this in Digikam:

When I “Open with” the NEF file, PF asks me the question as it has found the matching pfi. I answer yes. PF opens the file. Nice.
When I “Open with” the jpg file, PF opens the jpg file.
Now I export again the jpg from nef. PF creates a specific pfi for that jpg:

When “Open with” the jpg file, I get also the question.

If I answer no, PF opens the jpg file. Not a good idea to edit a jpg when we have the nef, right ?
If I answer yes, PF opens the nef with the development of the jpg. Excellent. If I export again, both jpg.pfi and jpg are updated. Perfect.

I can now work easily with PF from Digikam.

1. For the Digikam-PF user I don’t see the advantage to be asked to use or not the pfi. It can makes sense for a user who opens files from PF alone… I would find nice to have a setting which remove the question (in both cases, source (nef) or output (jpg, tif)).
  2. This is a question: in that example I use different names for exported files to be able to keep them all in the source files folder. The other possibility would be to keep the same name but exporting the outputs in different sub-folders, one per specific development. Has anyone an opinion on this ? What would be the best method ?

THANK YOU Carmelo !! :slight_smile:

1 Like