[play raw] galaxy express 999

A couple of nights ago I went out for the Perseids. I didn’t have much luck shooting them, but I got a couple of nice milky way shots. I’d like to share this one, in which I captured the trail of a UFO that reminded me of an awesome Japanese cartoon/comic of my childhood :wink:

I tried to do the stitching with hugin but I failed miserably. So I had to do it by hand in GIMP. The result is not perfect but more than enough for me. Basic development in RT, and then to GIMP+G’MIC for various tweaks (besides the stitching).

Licensed CC BY-SA 4.0
DSC09066.ARW (23.7 MB)
DSC09067.ARW (23.7 MB)
DSC09068.ARW (23.8 MB)
DSC09069.ARW (23.8 MB)

DSC09066-1.jpg.out.pp3 (11.2 KB)

4 Likes

I am constantly in awe at the wonderful images you astro people capture. Thanks for sharing this! I’m looking forward to playing with this myself when I get a free moment!

Thanks @patdavid! I’d really like to be an astro person myself, but honestly I lack both the skills and the equipment for that unfortunately…

Paging @asn and @Jonas_Wagner! GO!

@agriggio Alberto, I was able to to stitch your images with Hugin.

What I did:

• export 16-bit tiffs from your raw files using RT (neutral profile plus noise reduction, profiled lens correction, Amaze+VNG4 demosaicing)
    DSC09066.ARW.pp3 (10.3 KB)

• in Hugin : CPfind then fine-tune for the control points, masking out the foreground in the 2nd image, auto optimization for positions (incremental, starting from anchor) and low dynamic range photometric optimization, and then using the Trans Mercator projection, saved as TIF.
    DSC09066 - DSC09069.pto (7.5 KB)

• open the sticthed image in RT for further processing, trying to use some of the settings from your PP3 (but on the tiff, it doesn’t give the same thing) :

DSC09066 - DSC09069.tif.pp3 (10.2 KB)

Edit: I forgot to remove the dead/hot pixels which show up clearly on the foreground from the first image…

5 Likes

awesome @sguyader! this is exactly the kind of insight that I was hoping to get :slight_smile:
I’ll try out your pto asap

1 Like
  1. Open pictures in Darktable. Adjustment DSC09066.ARW.xmp (2.4 KB). Export to tiff.
  2. Open tifs in Hugin . Right click firs picture, Edit image variables/Lens/degrees of view(v) to 10
  3. Hugins Cpfind contorpoints, calculate, In Fast Panorama preview Projection/Rectilinear, crop
  4. Sticher: Calculate Optimal size, normal stich to tiff.
  5. Open tiff in Darktable, Adjustment DSC09066 - DSC09069.tif.xmp (2.8 KB), export jpg

1 Like

Preprocessed in RawTherapee four frames. Two stitches made with Microsoft ICE, one of the upper two frames and one of the lower two frames. The two stitches were combined by gradient mask in Gimp.

2 Likes

DSC09066%20-%20DSC09069rt

3 Likes