[Play Raw] Morning Light

@CarVac I like that the cows stand out in this version!

3 Likes

DSG_1642-0.jpg.out.pp3 (12.0 KB)

6 Likes

The panorama crops are especially interesting.

I’ve always been a “photograph what’s there” sort, not much into staging things, so the cows made an interesting counterpoint to the wild setting. Thanks to those that worked them locally.

The fact that your JPEG is already so good proves the excellence of your photography that is deserving of the attention. Makes my PlayRaw threads jealous. :stuck_out_tongue: :cricket: Hope you share more from your records. :wink:

Here is my contribution with darktable 2.60

DSG_1642.NEF.xmp (7,0 Ko)

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this nice picture!

DSG_1642.pfi (48.8 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks for the compliment, @afre.

I used to think one needed to live near pretty places/things to make good images. Colorado, USA, is what we called in the military a ‘target-rich environment’ in that regard; it made making the image of this thread easy. But, seems to me that it’s really the light that makes the difference; with interesting light, ordinary spaces and things can become compelling.

Just a random thought…

2 Likes

Yes, very much so. Your work put a lot of depth into the scene… Like it!

Actually, I think your take is more what I remember. My batch processing needs a bit of adjustment…

My favorite crop! Makes me want to go back and shoot a panorama series.

Thank you!

Cowsss in ttheee mooorrnninn miissssttt :cloud::cow2: :cloud:
Love the ambient and that you told the story, put a context. Merci @ggbutcher. Fellow pixelereos, cowboys and cowgirls of the mesh valley (bayer mesh) :parrot::white_flower::beetle:

Rawthereapee and a shower of softlight, normally I’d prefer the company of deeper shadows but the cow Rubina has such beautiful and sparkly eyes…

DSG_1642f.jpg.out.pp3 (11.6 KB)

4 Likes

@chroma_ghost, I found a better picture of your friend, Rubina :cow: :

1 Like

DSG_1642.NEF.xmp (51.3 KB)

I really like idea of the road being highlighted a bit (probably too much in my case).

8 Likes

Man, you’re gonna give me a heart attack, she’s a gorgeous mime :heart_eyes: :heart::cow: of the pradaries

Going through the versions that have been submitted here, the thing that caught my attention the most is not so much the overall feel but the crops. Incredible how in two almost identical versions (trimming wise) just a few inches tell a whole different story/mood/perspective/focus/elements-protagonism/avocato-suffle/you-catch-my-drift. Just thinking out loud

Added:
for example, take a square crop, to me what it is presented ( it’s as important what is {there} as what is left out; the brain always fills the holes, that is scientifically proven) in this perspective is closer to a personal experience or POV as we have the foreground closer to us… I can almost touch that first warm sun beam… Here, more than half of the image is filled with “just” grass, but then… in the centre is not the breathtaking landscape which is “robbed” its protagonist and serves “only” as context and backdrop ; no, in our path, almost dead centred is Rubina the cow. The story (my interpretation of course) changes, she becomes our protagonist (around which the narrative is constructed) and cows being lovely laid back (sometimes a bit silly) animals it also makes the story a bit funnier; she’s there… jut staning still looking back at us, she doesn’t give a fuck about the beauty of the landscape, no, Rubina wants her breakfast and she “knows” that the place where the sun hits first is where the grass gets warmer… and who doesn’t prefer warm over cold toasts? This is not, it doesn’t have to be reality, it is the story that a photo ( or its crop) might tell =)

I’m not trying to be smart, just reflecting ( free flying) onto the aesthetics’ process of the zing.

9 Likes

I think you have the right idea. As a compositional element, that road would have been more prominent in the base image if I could have gained maybe 10 feet of altitude. It’s a strong leading line to the well-lit and misted valley. I like what you did to try to bring that out.

1 Like

Same here. I shot a variety of perspectives and focal lengths here, but I picked the image with the most scene in it mainly to show folk ‘the lay of the land’, so to speak. What you all have done with that is simply amazing to me, and reinforces my inclination to crop when the mood strikes me. I believe imaging is first and foremost about composition, and that consideration should be exercised at every turn. I do try to frame a good composition at the time of exposure, but sometimes, a different perspective washes over me when I’m sitting at home, recalling the experience…

1 Like

My try with RT 5.5

DSG_1642.RT3.jpg.out.pp3 (11.8 KB)

1 Like

I try to imagine photographers carrying around not only bags full of equipment, tripods, sleeping bags but… ladders. Just in case, you never know when you need additional 10 feet :smile:

2 Likes

@Timur You just need to build a
which is basically two tripods. :slight_smile:

4 Likes