[Play Raw] playing with B&W

The idea of my crop was that the man left behind something. It may be that he has not got a job like the other men in the picture or he has retired and leaves his old life behind.

1 Like

I might be off topic, but I thought life shouldn’t be all black & white only.

2 Likes

I feel that with this crop the photo has become a portrait shot, not a street photography shot! For the same reasoning, I also thought that keeping the shop number 217 for the Dentist and the price board in the picture was important to get the feel of the street.
Of course, both interpretations can co-exist and you can keep both versions!

2 Likes

_MG_4993.CR2.xmp (10.1 KB)

_MG_4993.CR2.pp3 (13.0 KB)

1 Like

My try with Filmulator.

Basically I reduced the white clipping point and shadow brightness, and turned up highlight brightness. Everything else is default (besides making it monochrome).

I think this take makes it feel brighter, like the man in the center is squinting through harsh sunlight.

2 Likes

I think that in street portraits Interacting with a subject is very important. Street photography usually captures an unplanned moment.
Does cropping make this photo to a portrait shot? What do you think?

1 Like

I don’t want to generalize but will stick to this particular shot and the crop.
The point of the photo in the close crop would be the despondent look on the man’s face. Of course, the fact that the younger guy is oblivious to his predicament adds some drama but since his face is not visible, I think it is a old man’s photo. So it becomes a portrait.
On the other hand, wider crop has another face, namely that of the other man. Plus the woman is looking at him too so it is not just his photo but that of the interaction between these three under the dentist’s sign. A classic street shot.
There are many ways to interpret this photo, this is what I thought when I made the comment.

1 Like

I hadn’t looked at the color rendition, but it is interesting how removing the color completely changes the focal point of the image. In color, I’m very much drawn to the bright green, purple, and yellow of the guy loading the cart, and almost miss the other man entirely.

2 Likes

Ok, it is a definition question which is street photography and which is potrait photography. The most important thing is how the viewer feels the message of the picture. I like my own crop, thats inaf to me. Feeling is very personal, though

1 Like

Personally, I wouldn’t crop the image. As a viewer, I enjoy allowing my gaze to wander and discover what is in the photo.

2 Likes

darktable (2.7-git): _MG_4993.CR2.xmp (7.7 KB)

1 Like

_MG_4993.CR2.xmp (4,5 Ko)

2 Likes

PhotoFlow Near-linear no-clip float.
gmic Filter pixels, 6 curves, afre_cleantext, multiply, rolling guidance, chroma, sharpen, resize.

Enjoy!

1 Like

I did! Nice colors and clarity.

But what are those dark blotches? (on the purple man right hand, on the woman’s arm…)

It was meant to look cartoony and gritty at the same time. I used a filter that is meant to clean scanned text, and the default settings at that. If I adjusted the values, I could probably get rid of those textures.

Here is my attempt at the colour version. To tone down the skin tones of the boy on the right and the woman’s arm on the left, I used two monochrome modules with graduated masks! Having fun with darktable.
One issue I am facing is that the xmp file is not getting generated for each image. I think that filename.cr2.xmp file is the only one that is getting updated. Any idea why is that? I hope that I am uploading the correct xmp file.
_MG_4993.CR2.xmp (12.8 KB)

1 Like

Nice!

Since the goal was to bring a surrealistic look, I don’t see the point in removing them. Besides, they’re only really noticeable when zooming in.

Hence, the zoom and enjoy statement. :wink:

1 Like

Well, the xmp you’ve uploaded corresponds to the the posted image. Btw, very nice edit!

Didn’t understand. Do you mean duplicates? I have a bunch of duplicates for this image and each one has its own xmp file:

Very interesting image to play with. Thanks @gadolf!

I have to go to the dentist tomorrow, so it seemed like a good time to have a bit of a dark mood and emphasize the guy with the pained expression walking past the dentist sign.

_MG_4993.CR2.xmp (5.9 KB)

1 Like