[Play Raw] playing with B&W

No, just upload later :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Done.

_MG_4993.CR2.xmp (10.6 KB)

1 Like

Nice image @gadolf. Personally, I found two issues with your high contrast processing. 1. The man loading plastic packs and the plastic packs were too bright and distracting and 2. the bright arm of the almost invisible woman. I have tried to mitigate those issues and tried to bring the focus on the man with Nike back-pack. Happy to try for the first time a BW conversion with darktable.
_MG_4993.CR2.xmp (17.6 KB)

1 Like

I also found it difficult to get the right amount of light to the right place. So, I took some freedom with this nice shot.

_MG_4993.CR2.xmp (8.7 KB)

2 Likes

Sirs, very interesting interpretations.

@yteaot I liked your crop very much, as well as your edit, although it goes in the opposite direction as mine.

@shreedhar I agree with the points you’ve raised. Now, I found an issue with your xmp: it gives an error regarding the lut module. I think it expects a Windows path (backslashes) and I’m on Linux (slashes):

EDIT: I opened an issue: 3D Lut from Windows to Linux · Issue #2681 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

@Thomas_Do I also liked your edit, very clear, still contrasty but more balanced. And I also like to see the whole scene.

Second try: @yteaot 's crop, @shreedhar light balance and a lazy retouch

_MG_4993_03.CR2.xmp (33.9 KB)

1 Like

Interesting crop. Anytime you have two (or even numbers) you’re inviting a comparison. What are you saying about these two men?

1 Like

middle age, hopeless, harsh man, randomly passing by a young, energetic guy, full of dreams.

@yteaot?

The man in front earned his Nike. “Now it’s your turn, son.”, he thinks as he passes by. :heavy_check_mark:

The young man muses, “Unlike you, I have muscle; no need to hide my arms.” :muscle:

1 Like

That’s the thing about monochrome, IMHO: you start already with a degree of abstraction…

Starting in rawproc with the color image:

• gray:0.56,0.42,0.07: The three numbers are the proportions of R,G,and B used to to construct the resulting single-toned pixel. I moved them off the default .21,.72,.07 looking for an interesting alternate emphasis.
  • curve:rgb,0.0,0.0,72.0,28.0,157.0,147.4,255.0,255.0: When I do monochrome, I usually apply an aggressive curve, knowing I don’t have to worry about colors.
  • crop:0.303192,0.245144,0.936170,0.963691: The “tourist” couple needed to go. So did that sunlit bit in the rear. The older man deserved the left third line.
  • denoise:wavelet,0.040000: This is a horrendous degree of denoise. I think it puts a bit of “vintage” into the image.
  • sharpen:5: Just messing around…

@gadolf, excellent image for monochrome… thanks for the opportunity.

1 Like

The idea of my crop was that the man left behind something. It may be that he has not got a job like the other men in the picture or he has retired and leaves his old life behind.

1 Like

I might be off topic, but I thought life shouldn’t be all black & white only.

2 Likes

I feel that with this crop the photo has become a portrait shot, not a street photography shot! For the same reasoning, I also thought that keeping the shop number 217 for the Dentist and the price board in the picture was important to get the feel of the street.
Of course, both interpretations can co-exist and you can keep both versions!

2 Likes

_MG_4993.CR2.xmp (10.1 KB)

_MG_4993.CR2.pp3 (13.0 KB)

1 Like

My try with Filmulator.

Basically I reduced the white clipping point and shadow brightness, and turned up highlight brightness. Everything else is default (besides making it monochrome).

I think this take makes it feel brighter, like the man in the center is squinting through harsh sunlight.

2 Likes

I think that in street portraits Interacting with a subject is very important. Street photography usually captures an unplanned moment.
Does cropping make this photo to a portrait shot? What do you think?

1 Like

I don’t want to generalize but will stick to this particular shot and the crop.
The point of the photo in the close crop would be the despondent look on the man’s face. Of course, the fact that the younger guy is oblivious to his predicament adds some drama but since his face is not visible, I think it is a old man’s photo. So it becomes a portrait.
On the other hand, wider crop has another face, namely that of the other man. Plus the woman is looking at him too so it is not just his photo but that of the interaction between these three under the dentist’s sign. A classic street shot.
There are many ways to interpret this photo, this is what I thought when I made the comment.

1 Like

I hadn’t looked at the color rendition, but it is interesting how removing the color completely changes the focal point of the image. In color, I’m very much drawn to the bright green, purple, and yellow of the guy loading the cart, and almost miss the other man entirely.

2 Likes

Ok, it is a definition question which is street photography and which is potrait photography. The most important thing is how the viewer feels the message of the picture. I like my own crop, thats inaf to me. Feeling is very personal, though

1 Like