[Play Raw] Processing another very high dynamic range raw

I was going to go with a local lab version too, you beat me. It’s the most pleasing version so far, to my eyes.

1 Like

Thanks for the nice words, it was actually my first time using the excluding point and I am surprised how well it turned out.

Good night pips +) and sorry for the overload of pics, oven’s hot hot

Tried it with Rawtheraspee 5.3 - didn’t go with the loca-lab party as wanted to try the hard way, a challenge you say. Used gradient but not for the sky, for the golden chicken coin, meh results (off course operator “fault”) :vulcan_salute:t6:

pp3_1600px
P1440493.RW2.pp3.zip (3.9 KB)

Then onto darktable but the HL recover results threw me off the train, the train of sssiiiiiinnnnn!!!
So the sugar rush or is it rash, anyway went to ps’s camera raw, too easy, too fast 20 sec t6::vampire:t6::female_detective::woman_factory_worker:t6::woman_factory_worker:t6::clown_face:

ps_cr_P1440493

We need massage, massage of pixel level, we need the penguin’s pancake maker, yeah!
So dcrawing (officially a verb) dcraw -v -w -H 9 -o 1 -q 3 -6 -T a recovered window

P1440493-dcraw_2560px

and we’re on PhotoFlow time… not being able to make straight masks - in PhF they’re all gay, bezier gay to be precise - made the process a lot harder, cochina miseria digital. At least managed something usable, this was the stone soup :man_facepalming:t6::monkey::evergreen_tree::squid::8ball::dart:

phf_flow-und-photo-poroto

resulting in a tidal wave of fire

P1440493-dcraw_PhF___2560px
P1440493.pfi.zip (4.7 KB)

Finally, the light below the car is super important, last tunning steps, pure gmic (same as usual) filters and a slightly shifted provia 400F, such a good emo, mean emu. Had to denoise in the end, satan’s was peaking through the vynil cracks, but put grain back. Like they say if the noise annoys you, you’re getting old… Anyways not perfect (sticky residue on the HL and posterization on window’s ornaments) but a worthwhile journey… need to shut my trap, cheers

P1440493-dcraw_PhF-gmic-NR_pprovia400f-shift_2560px

1 Like

It’s hard to figure out what was the color of the sky at the time of shooting. It seems obvious that there are clouds in the sky. Is the color of heaven then blue? Do you remember @GoboPeter what the sky looked like?

RT + DT + Gimp :slight_smile:

2 Likes

P1440504
This is a view to the clouds few minutes after leaving church. Few minutes before entering the church the sky was blue. Just made a quick export from RAW without any modifications.

In previous thread there was a suggestion taking bracketed photos what should make developing much easier. So I checked my backup drive where I found such with ± 1EV. This was one of my first things I tried after installing DT - make an HDR but I didn’t like the result so I dumped it. Now it returns but I realize that approach “only DT” with a magic button “HDR” has no chances. If I can ask for a proper developing process, I would appreciate it. I installed GIMP 2.8 (there’s a new 2.9 dev. ver.), but have no idea how to work with it so it will take some time before I’ll be able to follow work flow.
Information about photos: This is inside Dominus Flevit Church, Jeruzalem, Israel. A short film about it: https://youtu.be/wc4od2IshlY
Shots taken November 2017, no tripod, so to stabilize I placed camera on the backseat of bench.
P1440497.RW2 (18.7 MB)
P1440496.RW2 (18.6 MB)
P1440495.RW2 (18.6 MB)
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike
(Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike)
So if you would like to take challenge and share guidelines to help a newbee to opensource sw, here it is and thanks in advance.
Peter
PS. thank you @afre

2 Likes

There’s not much point to this playraw. It’s the same shot as in the previous one, and these bracketed images aren’t worth their weight in bytes since they’re taken in full auto mode only 1EV apart.

1 Like

I do agree that new photos don’t give much more. There was a suggestion to take photos with bracketing. I found backup so I uploaded them . @patdavid, @paperdigits - can we delete this thread or if it’s still worth keeping, can you move it to previous thread?

P1440493.RW2.xmp (6.3 KB)

GIMP-Mantiuk2006_LAB

1 Like

Trying the current darktable version on this one.

P1440493.RW2.xmp (25.1 KB)

2 Likes

my try

Processing another very high dynamic range raw_P1440493.RW2.xmp (17.6 KB)

interesting.
i wish dartable had more hdr algorithms. you could do a lot of nice things with them via blending. :thinking:
i miss the good old global tonmapping module. :cry:

1 Like

Its still there just use a preset.

Really? Unfortunately, I can no longer find the module among the obsolete modules, so I can’t create a preset to have quick access to it. :thinking:

Go back to an edit that has it already and make the preset from there.

i know.
just…ask me for something simple. :sweat_smile: i don’t know which photo i used this on. especially since i haven’t used the module in ages, due to it being obsolete for so long.

In the “collections” module you can search for images using a certain darkroom module (in your case ‘tone mapping’): click to the left under the line where it says ‘collections’ (it will probably show “film roll” or “folder”), select “module” there. Then pick whatever you want.

1 Like

ART