[Play Raw] Sky, sea and rocks with reflecting light near Guérande

here is my attempt (with darktable)

P1030207.RW2.xmp (147.5 KB)

3 Likes

Interesting exercise in rawtherapee

P1030207-1.jpg.out.pp3 (13.0 KB)

1 Like

@crobby49 Nice ! I’m really intrigued by the techniques you used in your edit, I’ll inspect the xmp right away !

@CriticalConundrum I like the way the light diffusion across the image is intense yet still seem natural. Maybe the center of the sky slightly blown out but the target is reach : It do not feel over processed but the final rendering is quite dramatic :slight_smile:

I guess I should try rawtherapee too …

P1030207.jpg.out.pp3 (12.6 KB)

I wanted to entertain myself …and perhaps you guys as well. So here’s how it was done :smiley:

1 Like

A second attempt at this atmospheric picture - this time hopefully without the artifacts!

2 Likes

Thanks for the video (+music) & the edits ! The color one is subtle (a bit on the blue side) and the B&W gives this fun old postcard compressed DR even if the sky have been greyed-out in the process. RT interface always seemed to be lacking in elegance but seeing it in use it is very functional, I should try it !

1 Like

The image quality in the fine details suffered from the processing but the overall appearance is quite nice and no visible artifact anymore when looked at lower scale :slight_smile:

You are welcome! I am glad someone enjoyed it :slight_smile:

I was debating whether I should go for warm sunset or a cool evening look and decided for the colder colours.

When it comes to BW images i tend to go back to my original inspirations … Henri Cartier Bresson and Robert Capa, who both would shoot 35mm orthochromatic BW film in the 1940s :slight_smile:

I don’t know about elegance; the visual interface of a program is always a much debated thing of subjectivity. It’s usable, especially once you get used to it. I suppose if you compare it to Apple or Adobe products (who count on their software looking extra sexy to seduce potential buyers), then yes you may not find it as elegant but I hope you can get used to it, because once you do you will enjoy it a lot. I did a hangout with a photographer friend yesterday over Discord videochat (and I will post the link to the video as soon as I’m done processing it) and we did some back and forth editing between the two of us; him using Lightroom and me RawTherapee. At first he complained that RawTherapee seems intimidating with so many curve tools …but then when it came to him using Lightroom’s curve tool he concluded he is not sure how it works and that he never uses it himself, except when it is used by a VSCO preset he loads up that uses it without him even knowing :wink:

Thanks for the comments and I do wish you a great experience with RawTherapee and any other Open Source program you may choose to try :smiley:

I was just comparing to Darktable interface general appearance.

I do not know much about LightRoom (never used it myself) nor I ever used some presets but I did managed to get someone to switch from LightRoom over to Darktable :slight_smile:

Thanks for the names, I’ll look theses up and rawtherapee is compiling right now :slight_smile:

2 Likes