[Play Raw] Street scene challenge

I understand. Your mask for the blur seemed really powerful though, as in local lab it’s quite hard to control the spill the of the blur, even with excluding spots.
Anyways, I’ll stop hijacking this thread!

@agriggio I like your blurring and processing. Wanted to post this yesterday but the forum didn’t let me.

Hmmmm I might be late with this one…
darktable 2.7.0+1025~g0384a4bb1-dirty

_MG_4335.CR2.xmp (11,5 KB)

3 Likes

_MG_4335.CR2.pp3 (11.8 KB)

2 Likes

1 Like

_MG_4335.CR2.xmp (80.2 KB)

3 Likes

@mosaster Wow, nice edit, very clear and realistic, good work!

1 Like

DT 2.7.0 _MG_4335.CR2.xmp (7.1 KB)

1 Like

It is a really nice image, having just downloaded the raw file to have a bit of a play myself I noticed the EXIF, ISO1660, F13 and 1/30. If I may offer any advice on getting a sharper image, then you really need to get your shutter speed high enough to overcome any shake from your body/hands/arms, and the camera itself, 1/100th or faster would be a good start depending on your stability.

Images like this with a wonderful background to blur out and isolate the subject do well with a shallower depth of field (note the attempts to blur the background in some of the other versions) so you would want to open your lens up by using a wider aperture, like F4. With a wider aperture letting in more light, your ISO can be dropped to a cleaner 800 or so, with an increase in shutter speed.

Done in Rawtherapee.

street-scene-challenge.jpg.out.pp3 (11.3 KB)

1 Like

Couldn’t help but try a B&W too

street-scene-challenge-2.jpg.out.pp3 (11.4 KB)

2 Likes

@plaven Thanks for the advice!

My take. Zoom and enjoy!

PhotoFlow: minimal linear no-clip.
G’MIC: filter pixels, 4 curves, guided smooth, dehaze, local contrast, 3 curves, resize.

2 Likes

Thanks, @afre, I liked that. It’s strong, without disturbing. Well balanced.

Thanks.

– I kept the lady central to my processing decisions.
– Your image was nice enough that I could have stopped at 4 curves. However, I wanted to see where my new commands would take it.

I know you were talking about the image but that is the kind of lady I would want to have my back. :slight_smile:

I was going to ask you why so many curves.
Feel free to elaborate more on that, I’m curious (commands? curves?)

Which one? The one that arose in your mind from my quoted words or the real one depicted on the photo? (And could they be the same, none of them the real one?) :bust_in_silhouette:

I have used them before; shorthand for:
afre_hlg, a 1-curve command.
afre_brighten, a 3-curve command.

Sweet, gentle and pretty were terms used to describe the lady. How about strong, undisturbed and balanced? That is what I wanted to invoke.

Of course!

Thanks for listing them

Built box, darktable and started testing.
Nice capture, should attend to it earlier but …

Processing done in darktable 2.7.0+1360~gf61c72b37 and GIMP 2.10
G’MIC was involved but as plugin in GIMP

1 Like

Good challenge. Worked on getting rid on the softness and tone mostly. Lots of masking.

_MG_4335.CR2.xmp (15.5 KB)

1 Like

darktable 2.6.2
_MG_4335.CR2.xmp (2,3 Ko)

2 Likes