[PLAY RAW] Vulcan stone sunset

play_raw

Basics in RT, exported one for the sky and one for the ground, then into Gimp and lot’s of brushing:

1 Like

filmulator on the bottom, rawtherapee on top, gradient mask in gimp.

2018-07-27__7M33870.ARW.pp3 (10.3 KB)

1 Like
(Alberto) #26

I really like the picture, so I went for another version, using even more stuff that’s not in dev :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

This photo is so nice. Thanks for sharing it. Here is my try.

darktable 2.5.0: 2018-07-27__7M33870_01.ARW.xmp (6.4 KB)

2 Likes

My take. I didn’t fix the sun or the flare; I typically don’t make any local edits. If I do an alt, I shall consider it.

1. PhotoFlow → HL mode (blend) → linear Rec2020 (no clipping) → 32f
2. gmic → filter pixels → adjust brightness, contrast (curves) → do that on two copies: one optimizing the highlights, the other the shadows
3. enfuse → blend the copies
4. gmic → enhance contrast (edges) → rotate → crop → adjust brightness, contrast (curves) → adjust chroma (curves; C) → sharpen → resize

I thought I’d just throw in my two cents’ worth… What a nice photo! // RT only

1 Like

Further examination on the vertical lines crossing the sun. They appear in the brightest parts of the image and the top edge. Might be due to the filters.

lines

I cannot clearly grasp if you’re playing along or if you’ve started torturing baby-sea-lions if the second they hate to be blown air in their tiny sensitive ears.

:monkey: you don’t retract, you (are) miscalculate(d)… then you amend, you perfect or you fall sleep whichever comes first :duck: tak master mono
Anyway, I cannot pretend to know why other people go and develop someone else’s picture, can be many reasons, sometimes even contradictory; personally I take it as a challenge, an exploration, a trip with no pre-set destination; if along the sharing of the journey someone learns (or is triggered) something, it’s double rewarding, I do learn (enrich) from others. Well, that’s the :poop: :sweat_drops: intro.

After a little bit … it started to feel strange; then it settled.

The result I posted is okay, but the thing is not about getting a better one, but a truer one, I think.
In that sense, I feel I’d betrayed my first instinct of going with a more natural looking processing; got lost in the playing. The good out of this is that then the objective or better said the motivation / focus was clear.
So, how do I look? je je je, I mean, how do I perceive light in general, how do my eyes and brain scan a given place and then a 2D image. That helps me in the taking of the decisions that leads to a processed image. And so I tried to tonne down the cramming of DR and colourfull details and went for softer, calmer “interpretation” – here a quick bow to @McCap master naturally coolio – Then, I emphasized the Z made by the triangle of the left patch of sky and inverse on the rocks. I gave some attention to the yellow flora, they punctuate perfectly the darker tones of the rocks and algae and partners with the :sun_with_face:

The borders were very distracting (love the tripod leg though) so after correcting vignette, went back to reinforce the vignette. I also found annoying the rocks on the top being dark… one approach can be like @shreedhar which feels (to me) coherent, despite I very seldom like to use dodge and burn, here went on dodging for a bit. I used portra film emulation as luma curve and blurred / soften a bit mainly HL. Pushed everything to what I consider the limits… it is funny, but more seemed to make the picture less interesting… here my rating is super simple: how long can I look at it?

In total fairness, I also watched Gaugin portrayed by the always great Cassel. Which made me a bit sad too, {otto’s samba acabo de entrar na solidão} aswell as a refreshed perspective 'bout many things.

Cheers

PS
@afre you know you can put more colourful flavours in the ice-cream’s cone with no extra charge? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes
(Mica) #32

I think he’s playing along… nobody has banned him (except himself, which we can’t control :wink:)

I like editing other’s photos because I’m not bound by my own vision so much. When I make a photo, I try very hard to see the end result while I press the shutter and record what/how I feel at the time. When it is someone else’s , I’m not bound to that previsualization. I can try new things that I don’t demand in my own work. It is freeing in a way. I also hope someone else enjoys it, though that is not a requisite.

4 Likes
(Gord) #33

All I know is if @chroma_ghost is writin’ I’m readin’. Always a good ride.

2 Likes
(jimplaxco.com and artsnova.com) #34

Here is my own take on the image using Rawtherapee.
2018-07-27__7M33870-test1-screensize

2 Likes

Had a hard time processing the image. I prefer minimalist global edits but I supposed that that isn’t enough to satisfy the masses. Been trying different things since my first take. Nothing seems to work. And despite the warm reception of the photo, I don’t like it as much as the others do. In sum, I don’t have a vision of what it could be and I don’t know how I could tame the raw.

so I heard

I prefer minimalist global edits

earthquakes and such, goin’ about like a god inni?

I supposed that that isn’t enough to satisfy the masses.

I like when you call me a whore, softly

Nothing seems to work

almost in tears, wait, need a handkerchief

I don’t like it as much as the others do

you, you moby dick hunter!!!

I don’t have a vision

you can borrow my monocle and doctor says 2 drops of :rainbow:

how I could tame the raw.

who knows… a stick and honey, good music (?) I’m leavin these butterflies helpers
Case need more, check also Leon Bridges, Jorja Smith, Lianne Havras, Marc Miller (RIIP), Tash Sultana (all npr - live)

tamos juntos

:palm_tree::palm_tree:

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #37

@asn Thanks for this beautiful picture! Here is my photoflow take. I started by compressing the dynamic range, and then added back contrast locally using exposure/gamma and curves adjustments coupled with opacity masks. I have also tried to “repair” the blown-out sun by blending a solid yellow color on the brightest parts of the sun and surroundings:

2018-07-27__7M33870.pfi (72.9 KB)

5 Likes
(Mica) #38

That’s a wonderful result, @Carmelo_DrRaw

2 Likes

Okay, I spent way too much time on this, :stuck_out_tongue: but I like to solve problems, obsessively. :crazy_face: I used heavy processing, at least for my ancient laptop, so I had to wait :timer_clock: every time I tweaked things or changed my workflow. :man_facepalming::woman_facepalming: That is what I get from doing things from bottom up. Fortunately, I did come up with new techniques along the way. :test_tube::+1: Here is my alt.

1. PhotoFlow → HL mode (blend) → linear Rec2020 (no clipping) → 32f
2. gmic → filter pixels A → optimize brightness and contrast for sky and land, respectively B C (curves; from half-size stats: less outliers than full-size)
3. enfuse → iterate step 2 until fusion (contrast) results in < a certain % of out-of-gamut or -range pixels (NB I am still not good at handling them)
4. gmic → filter pixels → sharpen (enhance high freq. contrast) → adjust brightness and contrast (curves) → add yellow → output 2 copies D E
5. pnmclahe → enhance saturation (E)
6. gmic → combine A D E to taste → sharpen (LoG) → resize → crop

Zoom 100% and enjoy. :slight_smile:

(Craig) #40

First attempt ever with a raw file…

2 Likes
(Bill Ferguson) #41

darktable 2.7

2018-07-27__7M33870.ARW.xmp (14.8 KB)

2 Likes

Hey y’all,
may I?

2018-07-27__7M33870.ARW.xmp (10,4 KB)

3 Likes
(Carmelo Dr Raw) #43

Here is a new PhotoFlow version, using the new shadows/highlights module to compress the dynamic range:

2018-07-27__7M33870 - 3.pfi (35.7 KB)

5 Likes