[PlayRaw] Another view from the mountaintop

A little Rawtherapee, a little LuminanceHDR, a lot of GIMP…

A little edit to show the curving road in the distance and a little lightening.

1 Like

Nice landscape!

All done in darktable 2.5 (latest git version)

4 Likes

Darktable (2.5.0) only.

DSC_1425.NEF.xmp (10.8 KB)

4 Likes

DSC_1425-4.jpg.out.pp3 (11.4 KB)

6 Likes

Thanks, nice processing as well

@FBulovic thanks 4 d plain. Nice versions pips :+1:

Today something light. Just wanted to check on those 2 new tool photoflow now has, mucho noise and guided puertorican and a LUT I’ve been datin’ {here please picture a horny donkey observing Der Lauf der Dinge} Anyway, all photoflow (including post resize) but the applying, done through gmic.

The edit file
DSC_1425.tif.pfi.zip (6.6 KB)

The LUT, you’re free to abuse it
satugator_II.cube.zip (367.8 KB)

Cheers

3 Likes

Nice image. Deceivingly hard to get the most out of every corner, though. Playing with a different order of operations to respect the linear data before scaling for display, I 1) cropped to emphasize the line of the road running into the distance, 2) wee bit of saturation, but it probably wasn’t needed, 3) output resize and sharpen, 4) and then, set the black/white points to scale the data and 5) a rather squirrely curve to put some contrast in the low tones (the foregroud) and the light tones (sky) but not over-darken the midtones.

That curve was almost too much for a curve tool, almost went to GIMP to dodge/burn with layers…

1 Like

@ggbutcher Shame that it is kind of artifact-y. JPEG quality set too low? Any chance you could upload a higher res version?

1 Like

That’s my typical modus operandi for web posting: resize to 800x600, min sharpen. I’ll upload the full-sized version tonight…

1 Like

Thanks I would also like to see it

What are my intentions. Exchange of ideas, how would other photographers/retouchers go about processing, maybe I learn something. Whole trip was about taking decent panorama. Published wide angle was rather documentary or planning where to take frames for panorama. It took me a while, about two weeks to figure out how to do processing and published frame played significant role in process.
Most interesting and upsetting for me was that people go cropping landscape without examining what they are cropping out. Here is detail from panorama processed about the same way as I processed DSC_1425.NEF

that is frequently cropped out?!

1 Like

e’re y’go:

Full-sized, jpeg qual=100, even though the JPEG wonks say anything more than 95 is overkill. So, what’s left is the min saturation, black/white point, and the squirrely curve.

2 Likes

Now it is too smooth. LOL :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Speaking of JPEGs…

Late entry using a slightly different crop.
Basics in RT and then a lot of fiddling in Gimp:

I actually forced a path for the eye to follow onto the image by dodging and burning.
Final Result:

I am already noticing two small spots where I should have been more precise with my fiddling.
But who cares
:grin:

2 Likes

My take

DSC_1425.jpg.out.pp3 (10.6 KB)

1 Like

Using RT dev build

DSC_1425.jpg.out.pp3 (11.9 KB)

2 Likes

Another one. Almost the same settings as before, but I used a ‘Graduated Filter’ and changed exposure to get a brighter foreground.

DSC_1425_grad.jpg.out.pp3 (11.9 KB)

4 Likes

In my opinion (I like panorama shots very much and stitched a lot of them using a 50mm prime lens), panoramas need to have a good resulotion. That may be my personal preference, but I really like to view all the fine details (which also tell a story) a panorama shows me. Without the fine details (means just showing a blurred image) a panorama is pointless in my opinion. It may show a nice overview of the scene, but does not tell a story.

Fortunetaly your raw file (though shot as f/11) has a lot of fine details in a single shot.
I really like that and tried to get out the maximum of details out of your raw file.

Ingo

2 Likes

For panorama I used Tamron 45mm. It still waiting to be printed, not very cheep fun.
Will go to 80-90mm lens when I build box with more RAM. That should sort out issue of relatively modest sensor in D610 (24MP). Talking about details, it was quite windy day and significant amount of dust in air resulted in reduced visibility. Wide angle lens is Irix 15mm and it is great for nightscapes, for example

It also does decent job on landscapes.
Panorama is ~2GB tif file which can be converted to ~100MB jpeg, though it is not so simple because of size. It is also not raw file appropriate for this section.

2 Likes