[PlayRaw] Beautiful bug

While doing some edits in darktable 2.7 git d5716a, this suddenly appeared in front of me.
Exporting works fine, this seems to be affecting only the display frame.
Anyway, I leave it here for the records, since I really liked it.
I don’t know how to reproduce the steps that led to this, so I won’t fill a bug.
As for the original image, I was trying to do a monochrome with a dark sky and was getting issues regarding the sculpture, if I may name it so, probably because of masking x chromatic aberrations.

IMG_5661.cr2 (11.5 MB)
IMG_5661_01.cr2.xmp (2.7 KB)
(CC BY-NC 4.0)

Oh, the computer kind. Was expecting a beautiful bug. :bug:

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago and reported it here.

1 Like

Something like this?

darktable (2.6.2): IMG_5661.cr2.xmp (7.9 KB)

2 Likes

looks like a mixture of pointillism and pop art

1 Like

My version in dt 2.7 :wink: .

IMG_5661_01.cr2.xmp (3.7 KB)

1 Like

And another version.

IMG_5661.cr2.xmp (6.3 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for that. I added some comments there.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. I started from your edit and basically just changed tone curve 1, to get a more hdr-ish look, my main goal from the beginning.

IMG_5661_03.cr2.xmp (13.7 KB)

However, my edit amplified what I think is due to chromatic aberration (see the bright lines beneath the metallic structure). I tried tweaking lens correction before to no success. I think I will have to live with that, since my lens are really poor (EF kit lens from an old Canon SLR):

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: I leave those to you

(I think I’m flooding this thread)
Another version, adding channel mixer to darken the sky a bit more

IMG_5661_03.cr2.xmp (15.9 KB)

I see. You may refine the parametric masking in exposure 1 to include those areas. Mask refinement sliders (mask opacity, mask contrast, etc.) might be helpful here. Also, since chromatic aberration usually has high chroma values, you may also use saturation masking.