[PlayRaw] Ents (or art of nature)

A few years ago I was at Ventry beach (Ireland)
It was a very cloudy day (so not much contrast or colours to photograph), but I found some very nice pictures in the sand, painted by the outgoing tide.

Here’s one of them. Using neutral profile in RT it looks really boring:

Let’s see what you can make of it :wink: Here’s the raw file:
D700_20111002_8209.NEF (16.0 MB)

The raw file is licensed (Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike).

5 Likes

Cool image, @heckflosse! It made me think of a dead mangrove swamp instead of sand with some plant matter in it.

This is a quick stab at it with RT:

4 Likes

D700_20111002_8209.NEF.xmp (6.9 KB)

Darktable with equalizer and split toning!

1 Like

In Darktable colors are made with craduate dennsity and colorize:

3 Likes

What an unusual shot. I thought of looking at it as a fortune teller seeing things in coffee suds/sand. And the following came to mind from an Iron Maiden song :
The sands of time/ for me, are running low.

D700_20111002_8209.jpg.out.pp3 (11.8 KB)

A charcoal look using b/w film sim in RawTherapee

Here’s mine, thanks for sharing! I really like the photo btw :thumbsup:

D700_20111002_8209.NEF.pp3 (10.2 KB)

1 Like

Thanks @heckflosse 4 the lovely image… can’t get my head around those not being trees. Thanks also everybody 4 sharing their flashy versions :astonished: :grinning: :hamburger: :palm_tree::sushi::wine_glass::ram:
:palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree::palm_tree:

First pass with Lightzone. Then got completely lost around masks and a black hole… with no hairs… inside gimp… gmic shared the pain of non finding the clit, I mean hit, he he

End up using this Oleg’s LUT - sometimes I would use same LUT on a {video} grade; closer to the end point in a node with a much turned down opacity, pseudo-cross-eye-process-etcetera style
NegToPos_FujiG400_RGB.cube.zip (30.8 KB)

Blablabla result. Cheers

This is amazing for being totally natural in sand !!
Having said that, I thought I would convert it to something not so natural looking, a bit like a brass etching, and put it in a frame.
All done in darktable.

D700_20111002_8209.NEF.xmp (10.7 KB)

1 Like

yes, it is!

i only can see [in my imagination] the original photo as a ‘postcard’ what you’ve already done.

Ohh, only one day after I posted this and already so many nice results :slight_smile:

I want to point out what I like at the processings:

@elGordo I like the contrast and the colour of your processing, though it’s a little bit too brownish for my taste

@paperdigits Mica, I really like your processing. It looks like you added a small vignette which fits very well!

@yteaot The colour gradients you used add a lot of depth to the the image!

@agriggio Alberto, you’re the only one who removed the annyoing parts ;-). That gives a much cleaner image. I also like the almost monochrome processing.

@savvy Your framed brass version is really cool. As I viewed your version the first time, I saw this jpeg blocky stuff before the image was rendered completely with full resolution. In combination with the brassy look of your processing that looked really really good! (like a mosaic)!! I have to take a look how to get that effect! Here’s a screenshot to show what I mean:

Edit: Please continue posting different interpretations for this photo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As I mentioned that it was kind of of a cloudy day when I took the shot, here’s another shot I took at the beach: