[PlayRaw] Everglades

Speaking of PlayRaw…

Here’s an old shot of mine that I recently came across again when testing the Amazon S3 bucket for uploads…

While on a walk with my family back by our home in South Florida, this view caught my eye. Florida is pretty flat overall - so instead of mountains we have clouds and sweeping views as far as the eye can see. If your eyesight was good enough and you were about 30 feet (10m) above ground you could probably see to the other side of the entire state…

Right in the middle of the state we have a huge, amazing, river of freshwater and grass called the Everglades. On a small dirt rise out into the water is where I took this shot.

The Glades

Here’s the raw file: PC311173.ORF (13.5 MB)
I think this was my PP3 file (PC311173.ORF.pp3 (10.1 KB)).

This file is licensed
(Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike) by me, Pat David.

If I recall correctly, I was mostly looking to turn the bramble of pointy things (sawgrass for those unaware, sucks) into an almost silhouette against the water reflecting the sky and clouds. But that’s me. Let’s see you. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

5 Likes

I imagine this must be worlds away from your usual images of mountainous majesty? :smiley:

PC311173.jpg.out.pp3 (10.4 KB)

I was unhappy with the left top sky being too bright with RT processing. SOOO… I did a bit of GIMPing to it. Duplicated the layer, used multiply blend mode. Then using layer mask applied it it only to sky and blurred the sky a bit using Gaussian blurr. Here is the second attempt.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m usually more worried about being attacked by eagles than crocodiles. :smiley:

Nice photo by the way, hardly anything left to process. :slight_smile:

1 Like

PC311173_01.ORF.xmp (8.8 KB)

1 Like

As I think @patdavid and @Jonas_Wagner versions are already perfect I went for a slightly artistic style:

3 Likes

As there are no distracting elements in that picture (like telegraph poles and so on) I tried to simulate an ancient look:

Edit: I forgot to attach the .pp3 file PC311173.ORF.pp3 (9.9 KB)

9 Likes

My Rawtherapee conversion:

And the McGimp edit:

3 Likes

PC311173.ORF.xmp (24.0 KB)

10 Likes

How did you obtain those light burst rays in the “McGimp” version? I feel they’re a little overdone there, but I’d be interested to try a similar effect with less opacity.

The rays are a lighten-only layer of zoom effect blur filter, masked. I was worried it wasn’t strong enough to support the sun behind the tree effect, which was with the dodger in highlights mode.

I like the idea. Here is my “ancient” version… maybe it is a litte too much, but I found that you can use the watermark module in darktable to overlay the image with a texture. If the texture is a bitmap, simply embed it in a svg. The texture used here is: Old Photo Texture by Playingwithbrushes under CC BY

14 Likes

NIce shot, @patdavid
Here’s my try

7 Likes

Here is my first attempt with PhotoFlow… still a bit too dark, but I wanted to turn the grass and trees into almost black silhouettes:

Thanks. :blush: I’ve restricted the effect mostly to the lower grass.

5 Likes

One more try, a bit lighter this time:

.pfi for download here.

4 Likes

I like natural colors and look that I tried to incorporate into my version

11 Likes

1 Like

We have a bit of country like that this side of the Pond - the Norfolk Broads. Big Skies. No 'gators though!!

Using Lightzone again:

I found a letterbox crop was best, leaving the trees (and reflection) centred. Put a Relight region on the Sky to enhance the detail and contrast.

Regards,
Biff

3 Likes